1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say All,
My 2002 FLHR carbed motor has been spitting motor oil out of the air
cleaner. Now have 4800 miles and has been doing it for about 2500
miles. Not a gusher but spotting and staining the rear cylinder header pipe and right side saddle bag. Mentioned it to dealer on 3000 mile service and dlr said the "re-aligned the oil pump". WTF is this all about.
I've spoken to other riders with simular problem ???? A guy I met had a remote line with an in-line breather leading to the lower part of the frame so the oil would spit out onto the road and not stain the bike. Is this
a "live with " thing or is my motor gonna explode some day when I'm out
cruisin' ?
Thanx,
Mike R

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
HD tech tips June,2001
TT#54

TC-88 Oil Pump Alignment
This procedure must be performed anytime an oil pump is removed and reinstalled to ensure
proper oil pump function. It has been observed that some TC-88 engines are experiencing oil
in the air cleaner when the vehicle is driven at high speeds. The correction for this condition is
to align the oil pump using the EVO tappet block alignment screws, P/N HD- 33443.
1. Loosen all pump assembly mounting screws
2. Remove two screws diagonal to each other
3. Install tappet block alignment screws in these two positions
4. Torque the remaining screws
5. Remove alignment screws
6. Install previously removed screws and torque

Although this refers to 2001 it still 'could' apply to your bike.
You buy in retro. ie, buy now, MADE EARLIER........

Probably wasn't properly aligned at the factory?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I thought the oil pump allignment problem was solved by 2002. I have an 02 RK (carb) that does it and an 02 flstc that DID it. both have mikuni carbs. the flstc has a 2 into one pipe , big bore kit and andrews tw37 cams. does not do it anymore. a good 2 into 1 pipe should eliminate it or installing an andrews tw21 or tw26 will eliminate it. I installed an andrews tw21 on the flstc before I changed it over to the other mods and was running straight shots and the cams eliminated it. I'm not concerned with the RK doing it as I know it can be eliminated through cams or a good 2 into 1 pipe. I know the 2 into 1 pipe doesn't look as good but (better performance)companies like T-header make a 2 into 1 with a false left pipe that still gives the bike a dual look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem on my 02 RK. Dealer "realigned the oil pump" but problem was still there. Finally replaced the breather valve assembly and that cured the problem. Per the service manager this is a relatively new fix for the problem. The new breather valve assembly is an "improved" version. Hope this helps. BTW, the first thing they learn at service managers school..."They all do that" !!!!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Here's a site with three different 'fixes'.
HIPPO, you've got a credit in it, must be true :D
Click HERE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To all responding to my "spittin' oil " question:
Wow, thanx for the getback. Posted the same question on other Biker sites for a coupla weeks now and this site has by far given the best and
most credible responses. Been here for less than 24 hours and I'm truly a
believer in this forum...Thanx again. (in East Boston speak "youze guyze is OK"). Thanx,
Mike R

·
Registered
688 Posts
harleyhog, Thanx for the link. Good tech tips.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
cromagnum said:
harleyhog, Thanx for the link. Good tech tips.
Don't thank me, if my hunch is right one of the members of this forum owns that site!
Would the person please PM me and let me know who he is cause its bugging the Sh*t outta me trying to think who?
Got my suspicions..........:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can't get to the home page on that site. :confused: Can some one send me the link to the home page. "I'm not much with computers.:( The back to home page won't work...<shrug>

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
SIN:

Just edit the link in the address and remove the last item "pucking.html"

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
harleyHog - that would be me that owns the site
geocities made me add the TX before the Rustler so thier system would have something to parse when I logged in - happens alot with the name

Rustler - Kerrville, TX

·
Registered
132 Posts
SIN said:
I can't get to the home page on that site. :confused: Can some one send me the link to the home page. "I'm not much with computers.:( The back to home page won't work...<shrug>
Sin - the back to home won't work cause you went to the page directly, all my back links just click the back button on your web browser for you - that way if I move pages around I don't have to worry about where they link back to

·
Registered
132 Posts
short of taking the covers off, look in the parts book for the part number. Keep in mind that because it's an 03 only means it was assembled fo the 03 line of bikes

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Rustler, is there anyway you could post a picture of Alt #3? I'm a reasonably good accountant, not so hot at mechanics. Can't picture what you are suggesting. Is this the same as what Hippo and Ed Y suggested re: connect the two lines together witha T fitting and then route under the bike ot into a catch can?? thx, greg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep I'll do it today - no the t fitting is differnet - it will show in the pic also

Take a look at the your oil fill plug, is there a tube connected to the housing neck? IF so then you already have the updated housing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts