V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and also a new Harley owner. I will take delivery on a brand new 2002 Road King FLHP-I in 2 weeks. I am contemplating a Stage 1 kit and the Screamin Eagle one-piece performance mufflers (#64903-99). I was looking for feedback on the sound of these slip-ons. Do they provide that deep, throaty Harley sound? Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Get to know your ride.......

Ride it for a while the way God intended it, you've got lotsa time as a mortal to modify it.........!

FLHP-I eh????..........

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer is offering 10% off any parts/accessories at the the time of purchase, plus first 4 hours labor free. Thought I'd take advantage of the discount. That is why I wanted to make the pipe upgrade so soon.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
gman116 said:
The dealer is offering 10% off any parts/accessories at the the time of purchase, plus first 4 hours labor free. Thought I'd take advantage of the discount. That is why I wanted to make the pipe upgrade so soon.
Harley of Chicago and Hales H-D in Ohio offer 20% off all the time and no tax if you don't live in their states.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Change 'em

Gman-

Take advantage of the discount and labor offer. The discounts you can find all the time, but free labor thats another story completely.
I have a 2003 King Classic that I changed pipes on before it left. The deciding factor was when the sales rep started it inside the store and no one really seemed to notice.....Honda Davidson! But hey, if thats your thing for a touring bike thats fine; it was not fine for me.

Use your discount to get that throaty sound ( it is a big improvement without going over the edge, shake the paint off the neighbors walls loud) and you boost power. May I also suggest that you complete it with the rest of what is the stage one upgrade ( breather, ECM flash). You'll be glad you did. Note: be sure and get your stock pipes back. The dealerships usually try and keep them (if you dont ask). Not that they are worth anything really. Keeping them affords you the chance to change back if for some reason you don't like it. The other more likely scenario; down the road you sell the bike to someone who does not want a loud pipes, you can offer the stock pipes with the sale.

A side question- How did you find a NEW 2002 RK now. Left overs are rare in my part of the world. I had a hard time finding an '03, many dealerships were sold out of their allottment. Or when you said new did you mean new to you?

Best of Luck / Safe Riding

G

·
A dealer near me has had a new 02 RK std with carb since October. I was going to make an offer when a deal on an 03 RKC came along.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
What pipes did you put on the 2003 FLHRCI? I have the same bike, trying to decide how to get my power and sound levels up? Anyone go Stage II?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Re;Pipes

SE performance slip-ons. Definite sound improvement. Nice low rumble to them most times but a liitle bark when you get into it a little. IMHO perfect for this type bike, classics don't seem right when over the top loud.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same choice facing me.....What pipes to put on an '03 RK EFI!! It's time, help! I've read here and still do not know. In the shop now getting the 1000 mile serice.....just 25 miles early.
Thanks in advance,
Radman

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Keep me posted. I heard a lot of pipes at Daytona on Touring Bikes, I really liked the Vance and Hines for one. I am going to wait for my 1000 mile check up this month, and at minimum go with Stage 1, also looking at Big Bore, no cam change. The factory exhaust have got to go.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello all new to harleys here but i just bought a 02 road king that has the stage 2 kit 1550 203 cams , it also has bub headers and thundercone mufflers and it sounds awsome, one of the nicest sounding bikes that i have heard they are a bit expensive but worth the money

·
Registered
252 Posts
I could not hear by bike going down the road. Everyone I talked to and most of the post on this forum said to wait until the 1K checkup before replacing the pipes. So I took the pipes off and knocked out the inter baffle. Some what better but still not what I want to hear. Will be in the shop next week for the 1K service, new pipes along with stage 1 air

1 - 14 of 14 Posts