V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who may not know..Beware of the Road King fork locks. On our way home from Laughlin via Death Valley, the mop squeezer locked her bike for a couple of hours and upon return the FREAKIN' fork lock would not unlock. The tumbler was frozen solid. After about 20 minutes of monkying with the key it would not budge. Really cool if all you ever plan to do is ride around in circles. Unfortunately we were 300 miles from home, so little circles in a parking lot was not an option. Fortunately we had the appropriate tools and had not yet consumed too many beers. The locking mechanism removes in one piece after about 30 minutes of swearing and sweating. Apparently this is something the MoCo is aware of, however not enough of the locks have malfunctioned to warrant a recall...yet!!

BLACK MACK

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey Black,

I have an 00 model and the damn thing aitn't worth a damn. generally mine would freeze trying to lock it. ( Never unlocking.)

I learned that if ya stop the bike, tilt the wheel to the left, push the lock BEFORE inserting the key, it seems to work.

Used to piss me off something terrible.

Never had it happen while locked but if it ever does and I am ready to go, I swear I will bust the son of a ***** and sort it out later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tpsplbg

I had a problem with my fork lock on my 2000 roadking it stuck locked.
I called a lock smith and with a little wd 40 and a leather mallet, and a couple of
wacks and forty bucks it was all fixed. Now i spray wd40 on a regular bases. Have'nt had any trouble for a couple of years.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Got a fork lock cover.....

....for about $30 off eBay. The fork lock is not well designed to stay clean, so stuff gets in there, and it malfunctions. The cover is one of those things that kinda sorta should be standard equipment, if anyone were to ask me....

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have the fork lock cover on my 00 RK. Keep the lock lubed. It doesnt matter. I replaced the first one because it kept getting stuck locked.
New one did fine until a couple weeks ago. Usually a rap with a wrench handle on the center of the lock frees it.

I've disassembled/cleaned them, used an ultrasonic cleaner and had a locksmith lube it for me. Doesnt matter.

Now it's stuck unlocked. I wont mess with it again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
crappy fork lock

So I finally broke down and took the ring off the fork lock, took out the screws that secures the wind deflector to the fork lock. Then lifted the wind deflector to get to the 2 allen screws, then used a screw driver to pop the fork lock up and out of its home. Upon further breakdown, I found that the "bolt" piece that falls into the divot was deformed. The piece that is covered by a spring had apparently gotten bent, preventing the bolt from being able to raise to allow the forks to unlock. Also the metal bar that twists in the middle had fallen out of its slots. What a great design this thing is! JA! Had to remove the head light trim ring, and discovered that I was missing an adjustment screw too! Wow all this and the bike is 4 and less than 15k miles. What's next, realizing the nightmares that come with my dream bike. She is a purdy thang though, 05 RK classic. This took about 40 minutes, including 3 yr old neice helping uncle bub.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
You performed a lot of work when you could have unlocked it in 2 min.

I had the same exact problem 2 years ago. I was about 45 miles from home, came out to my bike, and the key wouldn't turn in the fork lock.

I remembered a post from one of the old Harley Yahoo groups by a dealer mechanic that used to post a lot.

Print this post and stick it in your saddlebag if you own a Road King

The Problem:
For every indention in key, there is a corresponding pin inside the lock. The pins inside the lock form a circle. When the key is inserted in the lock, it pushes the pins down. When the key won't turn the lock, one of the pins has moved away from the center of the lock.

The FIX
Look at the key. The indentation on the barrel of the key with the shortest cut corresponds to the longest pin inside the lock. That is normally the pin that has fallen away from the center of the lock.

Now, look closely inside the lock and you will see the pins around the center of the lock. You should see one of them that is missing. It isn't really missing but it has fallen away from the center. Think of it as a tree that has fallen and leaning against a wall. The base of the pin is still in place.

To unlock the fork, find a straight pin, saftey pin, or small paper clip (we'll call this "the tool"). Gently insert the tool inside the lock pointing towards the outside of the lock. You will be able to move the pin that has fallen away from the center of the lock back into place. Hold the pin there with the tool and quickly insert your key as you pull out the tool.

Unlock the forks and don't lock them again until you get home and can replace the lock. BTW, I still haven't replaced the fork lock, I just don't use it.

Hope this helps, it sure saved my bacon!

·
PHUCKING BIKER!
636 Posts
02 rk lock failure

mine wouldnt unlock, finally went far enough to unlock then key wouldnt come out, glad I unlocked dash switch first . got home got key out wd40ed it blew it out, switch locked fine but wouldnt go far enough to get key out again. vise grip time, lock wont f up again, cause its f ed now so is key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same fork lock problem

i have a 2000 RK and had the same problem with the forks getting locked. I contacted HD dealer and as usual, there is still NO recall for this problem even though it obviously is a common occurance. New lock assembly cost 93 bucks, guess i'm not getting anew one. Am gonna just buy a nice new caliper lock for 24 buck thru kuryaken. If and when HD decides to recall this problem, i will get it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank YOU!

BigMike. Thank you, My 2000 Road King forks locked and would not unlock. I tried oil, beating on the lock and so fourth. Then I went to the web. There I found the FAST WAY TO GET HER GOING.
The small screwdriver worked well to straighten up the pin that was laying over. It took a couple of minutes..
God Bless you. I was in process of removing the whole lock unit and had proceeded to remove the trim ring and screws, and then decided to go to the web. I am now a member....

You performed a lot of work when you could have unlocked it in 2 min.

I had the same exact problem 2 years ago. I was about 45 miles from home, came out to my bike, and the key wouldn't turn in the fork lock.

I remembered a post from one of the old Harley Yahoo groups by a dealer mechanic that used to post a lot.

The Problem:
For every indention in key, there is a corresponding pin inside the lock. The pins inside the lock form a circle. When the key is inserted in the lock, it pushes the pins down. When the key won't turn the lock, one of the pins has moved away from the center of the lock.

The FIX
Look at the key. The indentation on the barrel of the key with the shortest cut corresponds to the longest pin inside the lock. That is normally the pin that has fallen away from the center of the lock.

Now, look closely inside the lock and you will see the pins around the center of the lock. You should see one of them that is missing. It isn't really missing but it has fallen away from the center. Think of it as a tree that has fallen and leaning against a wall. The base of the pin is still in place.

To unlock the fork, find a straight pin, saftey pin, or small paper clip (we'll call this "the tool"). Gently insert the tool inside the lock pointing towards the outside of the lock. You will be able to move the pin that has fallen away from the center of the lock back into place. Hold the pin there with the tool and quickly insert your key as you pull out the tool.

Unlock the forks and don't lock them again until you get home and can replace the lock. BTW, I still haven't replaced the fork lock, I just don't use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another reason Road King Fork Lock Jams

My locksmith had to rescue me when my fork lock refused to unlock. He told me that dirt accumulates in the locking mechanism, and over time builds up to the point that some of the tumblers cannot depress enough to unlock the lock. He sprayed some Amsoil dissolvent in it (he said NEVER use WD-40 in locks), turned the key back and forth to work it in adding pressure with a pair of pliers, and viola...the damn thing unlocked. He then advised me to stop using it. He also indicated the ignition lock might eventually have the same problem and suggested leaving it on and installing an interrupt switch hidden somewhere on the bike instead.

Harley ought to know better than to use a 7-pin tubular lock, highly sensitive to soil contamination. They put a dual gasket cover on the fork lock, but nothing can keep the soil out of a motorcycle. These locks are popular with Harley because they are nearly impossible to manually pick, but a professional can get past them in a few moments with a specialized tubular lock pick, so the added security is meaningless unless a professional thief is involved, in which case it wouldn't make any difference anyway. The Lesson? Get a disk lock and don't use the fork lock. Get an inline interrupt switch and don't lock the ignition. End of story.

<http://www.lockpickguide.com/vendingmachinelockpick.html>

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Roadking is stuck in the garage, tried the fix below didnt help. The key enters ruffly an will turn a bit but wont work. Talked with locksmiths, no help. looking for more suggestions?

The Problem:

The FIX

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
I hit mine with WD 40 and whacked it with a plastic faced hammer. I spray it regularly now and it has not happened again.

You can remove the lock.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
My 01 has not been a problem. Not sure if I used mine last year though. I have found that by pumping alot of grease in the zerk, it locks easier. I also lube the tumblers.

Not sure if WD-40 is the proper thing to use.

Parts guy thought the cover that the previous owner put on was a good idea, for keep dirt out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fork lock won't unlock

Just happened to me this afternoon, guess I've been lucky on the 01RKC. Problem was that I was at a Home Depot and did NOT have any tools with me so guess what, had to buy stuff that I already had at home but couldn't get to them cause I'm stranded. Called a Brother and he came with tools so that I could remove the lock all together, got it all home and the lock worked just fine for a few turns, then it locked up again and will not unlock now. Taking it to the shop to spray it with a lube, taking it to a locksmith in the morning to see what he has to say about it.
Glad I found this forum.
Edit: today I started my running around and found that my locksmith does not work on the round key locks, but he did give me a lot of ideas. The best idea I have heard so far is a disc brake lock. Can get one for very little money and it will work just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts