V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2002 ROT rally has come and gone. I don't know about the rest of you guys that went but I'm still recuperating.

I started my rally preparation a few days early. The plan was the same as last year, which was to pull the Mobil Scout camping trailer to the rally site the day before the rally and return for the bike to ride to Austin with some friends the next day. The trailer is a little more trouble than just packing the bike and taking off but it sure is nice to have a base camp at the rally site to call your own to chill out when you feel like it. Of course not using the trailer for a while caused some last minute chaos. The batteries would not hold a charge and the propane tanks that run everything including the Onan generator, could not be refilled because of a new law change requiring a new type of valve. But luckily I allowed myself some extra time to get things in order and I was all ready to go and pulled out on schedule. I dropped the trailer off in the FREE camping area at the Expo center and returned to Houston.

On Friday morning the weather was as good as could be expected with no rain but definitely on the hot side. We met at the planned departure point but had kickstands up about 30 minutes later than planned. We were on our way with a few less riders than expected but the others to join us later at the rally site. There is something about being on the road with a steady stream of bikes heading to the rally that really gets your blood pumping with excitement. We saw large groups, small groups, single riders, solo riders, trikes, choppers, bar hoppers, sidecars, Harleys, clones, imports, campers, trailers, and every form of biking combination that left the non-riding public just starring in amazement of the seemed motorcycle invasion.

At first I was a little disappointed that I could not get one of the 70 electrical trailer hook-up spots where I was parked last year. It was in an ideal location even though the big motor homes with 50 amp electrical running two air conditioners had blown all the power stations using a 30 amp adapter. So I was on my generator most of the time anyway. But, this year the rally has grown and actually the free spot where I was parked was the most ideal location in the whole place. The rally is growing fast....I just hope it doesn't get too big with the added hassles of traffic jams and such like I encountered at Daytona bike week.

I was waiting with great anticipation Friday evening to meet David Price and his wife. We had some BBQ brisket and sausage and a ton of food ready for eating. He called that evening and said that they had some problems and had to return home but were back on the road. They arrived late and called from the gate saying that the entry registration was closed and they were being turned away. We went and met them at the gate with plans for a get together the next day. Unfortunately because they were relocating to a different Hotel the next day they didn't get to do the hill country ride with us. It was a funny thing but on the way back we were trying to hurry to make the six o'clock meeting with them at the rally site. We were on the west side of Austin heading back to the rally when I saw a roadking with Oklahoma plates in front of me stopped at a red light. I pulled up beside them and said "what's happening!". Sure enough it was DP and his wife. They looked as surprised as I did! What are the odds of a chance meeting like that with thousands of other bikes out? LOL. They rode back to the rally with us taking some short cuts that Hoochie and husband knew about. DP is just as cool as I imagined him to be. I think his wife is so cool and she's one good looking lady. I had so much fun with them there with us. I hope to get together with them again for some rides or just plain fun.

Although there were more people in attendance this year it seemed that more chose to do some riding and exploring of the hill country. We saw hundreds out far away from the rally site doing their riding thing. We spent most of the day Saturday out riding but at the expense of missing some of the events that would have been nice to see. The only complaint I have of the rally is that three days just isn't long enough. Most of us chose not to do the 6th street parade and party Friday night but still didn't have enough time to enjoy everything. A friend with us did ride in the parade, it took about an hour just to get out of the rally site, it was a big one!

The rally.....fine bikes, cool people, nice events, lots to see, no traffic problems and plenty of partying. It's still my favorite rally of all time.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Great report, FifthGear.

Sounds like more folks should plan to attend the ROT next year.

The pics over in the Enter at Your Own Risk Forum are pretty good, too. ;) You folks do grow 'em big down in Texas.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Great story, Fifth! Your pics were ok but those aren't the ones I was waiting for!lol:D

Oh roadkinghd - where are you?lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks like fifthgear was really in OVERDRIVE at ROT.

Film will be surfacing in the near future, unless there is lots of money in my account real soon.

PS there are some optical illusions in some of those pictures.
and how do they get silicone to grow?

RUT ROW... sounds like a job for Scooby Doo.

check back tomorrow for more on the Rally.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
roadkinghd said:
Looks like fifthgear was really in OVERDRIVE at ROT.

Film will be surfacing in the near future, unless there is lots of money in my account real soon.

roadkinghd, the check is in the mail! LOL

PS: Cindy included a check also :D

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Well I will add to Fifthgears thread on my perspective of the Texas ROT. What a great time!

We left Oklahoma City at about 10:00 am on Friday with the RK on trailer. We decided to pull the bike due to the fact that we were planning on doing some shopping along the way. In case you did not know, Texas has ALOT of factory outlet malls and they have some very good deals on clothing!

We were about 90 miles from the house when I noticed a funny burning smell lingering inside the vehicle. As I glanced out the Tahoes rear windows, I noticed it looked oily. At about the same time, the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. I knew Murphy had just stepped in to ruin things for us!

Transmission fluid EVERYWHERE to include all over my trailer and on the bike as well. (Mechanic diagnosed it today as the modulator valve going bad, it pukes all the transmission fluid through a vent hose that dumps underneath the truck. Luckily transmission is still good)

I was able to dump 4 quarts of fluid and return back to the house. I borrowed my father's import SUV to continue the journey back to Austin several hours later.

We decided to stay on Fort Hood in Killeen since lodging was a no-go in the Austin area at the time I was trying to make reservations. The ride into Austin was about 90 minutes, hauling ass. Once we arrived at Hood, we immediately dropped the truck and trailer and rode into Austin to meet Fifthgear and his wife, Cindy.

Unfortunately as Fifthgear mentioned, we were unable to enter the "compound" since registration closed at 8pm that evening. While waiting for Fifthgear to meet us at the front gate, I witnessed about 20 pissed off bikers demanding to get into the complex stating that they rode several hours to get there and needed to get inside to camp. The gestapo told them to turn around and come back in the morning. I saw several bikers just blow the front gate, something I thought about doing but didn't want the trouble that could possibly come with it.

After meeting Fifthgear and making plans for the following day, I decided to go check out 6th street in downtown Austin. There were several THOUSAND bikes and people downtown. Registration numbers were unofficially at 35,000. The local PD blocked off streets and it was like a giant block party. After crusing around and checking out the scene, we decided to make our way back to Killeen since it was now 2:00 am. I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to stop at a Marriott Residence Inn and lucked up on a room for Saturday night!

We checked out of Fort Hood billeting the following morning and made our way back to Austin to check in the Marriott. We were only 15 miles from the rally site. We rode a few hundred miles on Saturday enjoying Texas' open country. We met up with Fifthgear and his wife, Cindy, Hoochie, Boneyard 01, and his wife Cindy at the rally complex later that evening.

We had a great time watching the "bike show" from about 6pm-12:30am. It was like Mardi Gras. Lots of bikes and drunken bikers having fun on their scoots.

Fifthgear invited us to his air conditioned trailer and brought new meaning to "southern hospitality!". What a great host! He had plenty of beer/food for an Army! For those of you that didnt make it to the trailer, you missed out!

I look forward to doing it again next year. Only this time, I *WILL* stay on the compound in either a tent or a trailer! There were concerts, contests, and vendors for days!

Posted some pix in the Enter At Your Own Risk Forum for those that need "detail".

Overall, a great rally! Looking forward to Sturgis this year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I guess I'll add my $.02 worth to this too. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up Fifthgear, we had so many things going on we couldn't swing it. The party on 6th street Friday was great. Lots on lovely ladies show body parts :D beautiful bikes and some pretty good bands. We also took a ride on Saturday and it sure is nice to see hill for a change after the last few months of riding around Houston.

Now on Saturday who was the sick bastich that scheduled gay pride weekend the same time the rally was going on? Nothing like a bunch of crazed bikers and a gay pride parade! Nevertheless, we had a great time met lots of folks and really enjoyed ourselves.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vette, I know exactly what you mean about too much going on for a meet up. I missed a few contacts that I was supposed to make myself. I think the ROT is just too short of a rally to get everything in. I think next year I will do a little more planning for myself and maybe extend it a few days in the hill country. I really just spent part of Saturday night taking some pictures for the forum instead of enjoying the good company that I was with. I will refocus on the important things next year for sure. I didn't do the six street party this year because of the hassle of getting there with a group of friends and finding places for all to park without riding in the long drawn out parade. Then the temptation of having too much beer and chancing riding back to the rally.....no good for me. It seems like you enjoyed it and I'm with you on the hill riding fun....it's the best in Texas west of Austin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts