V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a wide glide conversion on my 2002 FXD and wonder if there is any way to reuse the stock fork bearings when putting on new trees. The bike only has 1900 miles on it. I realize the bottom bearing is pressed on the stem but is there a way to get it off without damaging the bearing. Putting on new bearings and races is not a real problem, just what is a recommended/easy way to get the races out of the frame. Thanx.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The races can be removed by using a drift and evenly tapping around the race to prevent damage to the bore of the neck tube. The service manual for my '95 says bearing races can NOT be reused once removed. Don't see the logic in that if you are careful. I think HD changed to a different style neck bearing around '98 or so (sealed style) so I dunno if the non-reuse rule still applies.

Removing the bearing from the fork stem without damaging it could be tough if its a tight fit. Using a puller on the bearing cage could distort the cage if too much pull is applied.

IMHO you can probably reuse the top bearing and race if they show no signs of wear and were removed carefully. If the bottom bearing puts up much a fight coming off the stem I would skip it and spring for a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey sadlerb-got a Accutronix kit from Wally's Cycle world, but had send it back for replacement trees as they arrived with a couple dings. Should be back shortly and hope to get started. It is supposed to be pretty much a bolt-on as the stock headlight visor can still be used. Only modification that I know of is the stem will have to be notched for the stock fork lock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.