V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of you have read in my previous posts, I have had a problem with my bike stumbling or even dying taking-off from a stop. As of last night, my local H-D dealer service writer said that numerous items were looked at per H-D Tech but nothing was solving the problem. The dealer took off the ECM and sent it to H-D for inspection. One was sent back to the dealer but they noted it was not the original and had a different part number...

The story I am now being told is that H-D Tech recognizes that some 2002 EFI bikes (maybe just FLHTCI's, not sure at this point) have had this exact problem. The replacement ECM is a modified or improved part and I will need to let H-D Tech how the part is performing. I was told that in the next 30 days or so the part will be available to the dealers and there will be an upcoming service bulletin regarding this problem.

I pick up the bike tonight but due to rain I won't be able to ride any length to determine if the bike is actually fixed; a service tech and the service manager have ridden the bike after the ECM replacement and it didn't stumble or die. Both had ridden the bike during this last repair attempt and both had the bike act up while riding around town, so only time and a few miles will tell...

I hope the information the service writer gave me is accurate and helpful to someone else down the road...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did it "stumble or even die taking-off from a stop" while starting cold or after it was fully warmed up?
What was the temperature?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2002 Stumble Update:

tsuter;

The bike does not stumble at evey take-off; when it decides to act up though it can do it warmed up leaving the garage or just before the end of the ride, and at any stop in between. I can make 4 or 5 stops in a row and it is perfect and then stumbe or die at the next stop.

I have ridden and had the problem in 60 degree weather all the way up to 100 degree weather.

Once under way, the bike runs fine...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would not rule out a problem with the Idle Air Control sensor and/or stepper motor at the throttle.
Were you getting a check engine light?
Has the problem gone away with the new ECM?

There are a lot of tests for miss fire under both idle and load and for engine starts and stalls.
Including:
Leaking/faulty injector(s)
vacuum leak
bad fuel
excessive oil/oil sumping
throttle position sensor bad/ faulty throttle cable misadjusted
low battery (bad cell) reading less than 9 volts
Vehicle speed sensor reading>0 when stoppd (bad sensor)
Short or intermittent loss of power to ECM pin 31

Some of these are easy to check (at home) and some are not.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2002 FLHTCI Stumble Update: Revised

Picked up my bike tonite; no stumble or dying but it's only a few miles from the H-D dealer to my house.

Here is the work that they did on previous service visits:
1. Checked fuel pressure (twice)
2. Downloaded Stage I map calibration
3. Replaced EFI seals
4. Rode bike with laptop attached looking for trouble codes: none found

Here is the work that they did on this service visit:
1. Downloaded the latest map calibration.
2. Checked Throttle Postion Sensor voltage; voltage was within specifications (.35 D.C.V.) H-D Tech had them adjust it to .42 by adjusting the throttle stop.
3. Drained and replaced fuel.
4. Replaced both fuel injectors.

Bike still had the stumble / dying problem after each above step.

Lastly, the ECM was removed and sent to H-D for inspection and recalibration. A new ECM (part number 32787-02C Touring EXP) was sent back and installed.

My invoice says "The ECM is a new part that is under experiment at this time, soon to be released. Please let us know how the bike is running so we can inform the factory. Thank you for your patience."

Verbally, I was told that H-D Tech is aware of this problem and I believe I was told that only 2002 FLHTCI's seemed to be affected, but I am not absolutely certain.

Hope this can help someone with a similar problem and will post at a later date if this has resolved this issue...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Richard H-D, I got a "02" FLHR and have had the same problem "stumbling etc" they did replace a fuel injector after it just started running like sh**, that was 3000 miles ago I've got 9000 on it now. Thanks for the "heads up" on that sounds like that could be my problem, I'm getting ready for my 10,000 mile check up so I'll let know. Firewalker32

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Richard, I have a great deal of interest of the result of this decade old thread. I see that you dont have the 02 anymore, but I'm in discussion with the local HD service guy at the dealer and asked him about the TSB for this ECM.

This Spring, I bought a new-to-me 02 FLHTCI and it exhibits the same
exact issues as you have described. Its a stage 1 with a fuelpak, and it still runs inconsistent and has the stumble problem you had.

Did the new ECM part# 32787-02C Touring EXP cure the problems with how it ran?

Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts