V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike in for the 1000-mile service and the stumble-at-take-off problem that I have previously posted.

Service manager rode bike before servicing; did not stumble. He said that the fuel pressure was checked and is okay; said that no computer codes showed up so that would indicate that it may be some kind of fuel problem and not electrical. Told me that there is no ‘flash’ update at this time and the H-D tech support is not aware of any problems such as this. Told me to continue to ride and advise him: Of course, I rode no further than two miles and taking off from a start it stumbled. Very frustrating as I can not find a way to induce the problem for the service department…

Question: what kind of revs do you use at take-off?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Never paid attention to it, seems like one doesn't rev the bike at all, as the clutch engages you get on it with authority and you don't ever ride it below 2500. In very slow maneuvers you play with the clutch and rear brake.

One thing some overlook is the smoothness and adjustment of all controls, like clutch and throttle. I find it difficult to ride smoothly if they are not perfect.
I suppose you were not told what the fuel pressure reading actually was?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
suppose you were not told what the fuel pressure reading actually was?

'I suppose you were not told what the fuel pressure reading actually was?'

No; service manager only said that it fell within the normal range.

Called and spoke to him today; I am taking the bike back today and he will do part of the Stage I (ECM download) which will cost $189. Based on what I have told him, he feels that the bike is running lean and gives a 50-50 chance that this might cure it. If this solves it I feel that H-D should reimburse me; if it doesn't solve it... well, open to more suggestions.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Guess you'll find out.

These guys are real good at semantics. Thing is the normal range is excessively broad at 55 to 62 psi. Most bikes come in at 58. A 62 bike will run like a raped ape and a 55 bike will hardly run, and yet they all are in spec.

It is also impossible to do "part" of the stage 1 down load, you either download it or you don't.
I still feel that if the download is done you should do the intake kit and possibly the slip ons or the bike will go too much the other way, but it might be that if the bike is a extreme case it may work out well without too much of a mileage penalty.

What fuel mileage was the bike getting?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts