V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have never had ANY electrical issues with this bike until this past saturday. Started hearing a noise which the only way I can explain it is gravel sticking to the front tire and hitting the underside of the front fender. This noise would come and go without any other indication of a problem. The motor did not miss a beat or any other noticible problem. Then the motor just died sitting at a red light. I thought wow, thats weird and hit the start button and off I rode. One mile later, it died again and thats all she wrote. A week earlier I replaced the upper and lower rockerbox gaskets and thought maybe I pinched a wire under the tank while doing this repair. So for the first time I completely removed the tank to inspect the harness and do some checking. At this point Im not getting spark and when I disconnect the 3 pin plug to the coil, Im not getting 12v to the center pin. Shouldnt I be getting +12v to the center pin with the key on???? All fuses and relays (starter & Ignition) are good. Could the TSSM Module be the culprit. No codes showing up either. Hoping a HD service guy can lead me in the right direction. I used to build and service fire protection systems so I have electrical/ electronic experience. By the way, I dont have the Electrical Diagnostic Manual #99497-02 which I should probably get(unemployed at the moment and cant afford it). Thanks in advance for any help.:coffee: PS I also removed the Zippers ignition module and plugged in the stock ign module which made no difference.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, bike turns over, all lights work. Everything appears to be normal except no spark. Im going to check this morning if im getting 12v to that middle pin on the coil wire with the motor cranking. At this point Ive only checked the voltage with the key on, maybe the crank position sensor sends the 12v to that pin, not sure. Took battery in for a load test at Autozone and it passed with flying colors. Battery is 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Now, this morning I am getting 12.7v to the center pin of the coil plug with ignition on, but still no spark from plugs when cranking motor. Suspecting bad coil or crank position sensor and going to take the coil to the dealer to see if they can test it. Sure would like to know if the electrical diag. manual suggests the next step at this point.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Sounds like a bad coil to me.

one of the pins is power to the coil
the other two are the trigger wires for the coil. 1 goes to the handlebar on/off switch (grey I believe) and the other to the coil module (white/black)
if you're cranking you've ruled out the on/off switch
if you're cranking and you've got power at the white/black then you've ruled out the CPS and the module.

that only leaves the coil to be your issue.

Hope that helps.
Ultra

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think I have figured out the noise and no spark issue. The crank position sensor looks like the crank has been chewing on it. :confused: Now im wondering if the noise ive been hearing for the last 10k isnt forged piston rattle but a crank issue. I think my riding season is done! I just picked up a new CPS ($60) but im afraid to put it in until I figure out why this happened.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts