V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a problem with porosity on the Twin Cam motor casing? I have had my bike since the 1st part of April 2002, ever since I passed the 700 mile mark and began to sustain highway sppeds of 65mph + I have had large amount of oil comong from somewhere on the engine, AND THE DEALER HAS VERIFIED THAT IT IS NOT COMING FROM THE AIR CLEANER< THEY SUSPECT THAT IT IS POROSITY> THEY EVEN CONTACTED HD TO SEE IF THE HQ WOULD REPLACE THE ENGINE> I am currently looking at a possible Lemon Law under California Law. ANY AND ALL HEKP WPOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU
REPLY TO [email protected]

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I haven't had the problem but have heard of some that did. In all cases, HD took care of it. It sounds like your dealer has started the process but I would keep after the dealer to get HD to make good on it. Save the lemon law thing for a last resort. If the dealer knows what they are doing and how to deal with HD, you should get a new engine or at least, new cases.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Have you been able to spot exactly where it's coming from? There was a guy at work that rides an 01 soft tail that had that problem. He said he finally narrowed it down to a spot about midway up on the rear jug. His dealer replaced it without a fight.

Try to work it out with your dealer before going down the lawsuit and lemon law route - that can be a real uphill battle. Your diligence and maybe a bit of your time tracking down the source of the leak will pay off. If you can at least take the service writer's hand and put their finger on the leak (hot engine of course :D ) you have much better leverage on a warranty fix versus taking them at their word whatever they tell you (or don't).

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I just about spit my drink all over when I read that part about the service dept staff scattering like cockroaches when the lights turn on :)

Reminds me of my last 2 trips to my dealer for warranty work. Not HD warranty as mine is a used '01. I got lazy and hired them to change my drive sprocket and seal. So far the 3rd primary cover gasket is holding (knocking on wood). When I picked it up the last time the service writer stared at his toes when I walked in and the manager hid in his office :D

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
When I picked it up the last time the service writer stared at his toes when I walked in and the manager hid in his office
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Make 'em earn that money!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts