V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 02 EG UC, was headed home from work last night, the engine cut out a time or two, the check engine light came on and then cut off entirely. Dash, headlight, everything went dark. Pulled over to the side, and turned the switch off. Checked to make sure my battery cables and everything was securely connected, turned to start but still no joy; nothing would come on, but if I turned all the way to the right, my gauges would light up some. While sitting there stumped, I tried again and everything lit up fine and the bike started with no issue. Any idea what the heck happened?! No crazy changes have been made besides removing the Tour Pak, and recently replaced the regulator. Any ideas what caused the sudden death?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sounds like a short in the harness that then tripped the breaker, it cooled , then reset. I'd start looking for bad wiring by the neck, but it could be anywhere. Check for stored codes.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
along the right side of the neck is the place to start,, from just under the tank to where it disappears under the faring.. the harnesses stretch in thst area,, also check thr ignition switch,,, since turning the switch to the next position made 8t work

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
207 Posts
Tall Terry is correct. Grab the harness up by the neck while it's running and move it around and see if it cuts out. I did a 2001 that the wire broke and shorted right in that area. as soon as we cut the casing on the harness it was obvious were the problem was. We cut, soldered and shrink wrapped each affected wire, adding a short piece to make them a little longer about an inch to relieve some stress.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Dug up this old thread I started for a similar issue except mine happened with no turns involved...just shut down. I took a chance and replaced ignition switch...the problem came back. Eventually, the fix was to go through all connections, inspect, clean, reassemble with di-electric grease. It was a pain in the azz because I went through ALL connections. I never found exactly what caused it but it never happened again. Sounds like you at least have an area to focus on if it acted differently when turning bars. I would start in that area of harness as mentioned above.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have an 01 and was riding from Fort Worth to Galveston and it just died. After a few minutes it started right back up, after a few miles it dies again. Luckily was just across the highway from Longhorn Harley and nursed it over there. Mechanic said he new exactly what it was, I was skeptical. He let us stand there and watch, went way under the seat to a large main relay and changed it telling me he has done a million of them. Sure enough that's what it was and I was on my way to the rally within an hour. Longhorn was great. He said it was very common on these bikes, just might wanna check it. Was fairly cheap but this was years ago. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts