V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i diagnose this problem?
I went for a ride the other day and on the way back, probably the last 15-20 minutes it started raining. As soon as I got close to where i was going. The motor cut out, not even a sputter. I drifted into the drive way and tried to start a few times and all I got was a occasional pop from the engine. I parked the motorcycle under a canopy and in 15 minutes it started perfectly. I went to drive home and went about 1 1/2 miles and it died again.. I sat on the side of the road for a few minutes and it started up perfect. I finished riding home.
How can I diagnose a problem like this?
Ant ideas? I have ridden in much harder rain in the past and never had a problem.

Philip

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure it has much to do with the rain, sounds like something in the charging system. Maybe the stator and/or regulator..

·
Registered
951 Posts
An aftermarket tuner like the Power Commander can get wet and need to be dried out and greased.
Not weather related but a loose battery cable will do that. Check the battery connections and the ground to the frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bad sparkplug wire?

My bike would do the same thing. I had a frayed sparkplug wire that would let moisture into the system.

Might want to inspect your wires first...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Trouble shooting sucks don't it!!! No power commander? Nothing else special installed? Battery cables check out? It's not improbable that it's the stator but likely it's not the stator. The pop could mean coil or plug wires but that would happen when going down the road. Trouble shoot the regulator? A pain in the [email protected]#....I'd say just buy a new one and your problem will be solved; or you'll be even more frustrated. Really, I think it's the regulator if all else seems to check out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That happened to me shortly after a PCIII install and a run through the car wash. At least you made it home, mine got trailered to the dealer who did the PCIII install. It turned out to be a couple faulty Packard connectors where the PCIII gets inserted. They were the ones that powered the fuel pump. The dealer took care of parts and labor, but I was bikeless for a week waiting for a new harness. And now, no matter how dirty the bike is, it waits until I get home for a sponge bath. And I would check your connections at battery....ya never know 'till ya look.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah the PC will do it when wet, but also old wiring when wet will ground out and cause the same thing. Change you plug wires, cheap to do may help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd wager that it has nothing to do with the charging system. If it has enough juice in the battery to start the bike, then it has enough to run the bike. A battery sitting may recover a little, but not that much. Good chance it could be a wire. Too much to list, start with the shop manual and then ask questions. The thread is starting to look old, has the bike been fixed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts