V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna mess with jetting on my 2002 FXDXT this weekend, and it'll save me a trip in the [email protected]#! car if I know what the stock slow and main jet sizes are before I pull the carb apart. Not that I don't trust the parts guy, I just believe in that tried and true cold war maxim of 'trust but verify'...;)

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
The stock jet sizes should be a #45 slow jet, and #190 main.

Dont know if this helps you or not, but I ended up re-jetting with a #50 slow, and a #195 main. I tried several slow and main jet sizes before I ended up with this combination. I also have Cycle Shack slip-on's, and an Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scooter!

I'm using the Big Sucker and punched out stock pipes, so I'm guessing 48/195 would be a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
That would be a good place to start. I started with a #48 slow as well, and bumped it up to a #50 to totally eliminate all carb farts, and exhaust popping on decel. The engine also runs cooler now.

If your just gonna change the jets, you don't need to pull the carb off the bike. You can get away with just taking off the float bowl to gain access to the jets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not gonna muck with the needle yet since I've got one of the recalled needles (it must be high-performance if the EPA doesn't like it, right?)...

I do want to adjust the idle mixture screw (actually going to replace it with one of those aftermarket ones that you can turn by hand), can I pull the EPA plug out without taking the carb off the bike?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Removing Plug

I removed mine without taking the carb off. Used a small air drill with a 90 degree head on it. Used a short drill bit and left only about !/4 inch of it sticking out of the chuck. Drilled a hole thru the plug and then used a sheet metal screw in the small drilled hole to remove the plug. Just make sure only a small portion of the sheet metal screw tip goes in the drilled hole. As I remember the hole I drilled was 1/16.

Big Dog

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
This is what I do:
Lighten slide by about 1/2 OZ by boaring the inside of slide . I cut groves in the ears by the tube as well. polish front of side (the side you see)
Drill no holes
Use stock spring that I crimp a little not cut.
Smooth the mouth , take out all casting flaws & polish .
Hone dia of the rest of the carb to the middle dia (at the butterfly) if needed.
I make sure the match of the A/C is smooth. Jetting depends on bike & where your at but I am running 197 (drilled) main. 50 slow & .030 shim under needle. Mix screw depends on bike go for smooth idle 2-3 turns out.
You can do none of the radical stuff I do and still the CV-40 is a great carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts