V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really puzzled by what I hear and read about this relocation. Harley says DO NOT RIDE a 2002 with the 16 guage exhaust and reprogramming, without relocating the air temp sensor. But yet you can put on the original SE mufflers and reprogram, and be ok, no requirement for sensor relocation. Seems to me if the sensor relocation is so critical, causing engine to operate very lean, it would apply to ANY exhaust modification. Or what about a recall to update all 2002 VRods with sensor relocation? You guys got any thoughts on this? I have a 2002 and I cannot wait to put on an exhaust with some good sound, stock mufflers so damn quiet.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That doesn't make any sense period since it is the job of the IAT sensor to read air temp going in. That has nothing to do with any system. It provides a reading to the ECM, the ECM uses that to decide how how dense the air is to go along with other calculations.

Is the sensor put in a place where it would be subject to heat soak?

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
I talked to my Tech today and he said it was changed for idling purposes.Some v-rods would not idle at 1200rpm so that was the fix!
Kaz,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sensor relocation

Thanks for the info guys. That makes sense about the idle problem/cure. Kaz, thats definitely the WILDEST and BADDEST VROD I've seen in existance to date, good job! I especially like the paint, flames. Las Vegas is a hot town, and you've got the suitable ride.

·
Registered
450 Posts
IAT Sensor Relo

For what its worth, I have a 2002 as well and do MOST of y own work. the relo is designed to move the sensor form the rear of the fron cylinder to the upper left front of the airbox. The reason I was provided is that the 2002's ran leaner than they would prefer. that is why all 2003's stock or upgraded have the air sensor relocated.

The kit is $69.95 and is a "protected part" i/e you need a serial number of the bike that the kit is going on to obtain the kit--in your lifetime.

It was just released on 8/15 as promised and kits started showing up a dealerships within 5 days after that.

MY RECOMMENDATION -- Get and install the kit no matter what you decide to do with your pipes!!

The motor seems to like the fresh cooler air and adjusts through the ECM as pointed out by one of the other subscribers to be richer as measured at the rear of the exhaust. NET, NET better for the motor in the long run.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
I chassie dyno'd mine with A/F Ratio when we did a custom tune by Techlusion and there was no lean condition at all!My tech stated it was only for an eratic Idle problem some V-rods had.Were did you get your info?Is someone trying to hide some thing from us?Sounds Fishy!
Kaz..................

·
Registered
450 Posts
SUPERKAZ

If your information is correct, you've got to ask yourself WHY they would go to the time and expense to make the relo kit at all for the 2002's AND make the change standard on ALL 2003's.
It may be a REVolution motor BUT feedback and practical "seat time" will continue to provide the best information on refinements that the Motor Company makes. I for one am planning n looking at each one carefully and if they add value, increase performance or protect my investment, I will be sure to add them.

What were your DYNO performance numbers??

·
Registered
110 Posts
air sensor

Has anyone installed the new air sensor themselfs. Does it have to be installed by the dealer? Don't know why, if it is needed, it isn't a recall.
Anyone hear anything.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sensor relocation

See, that was one of my main points about this. Seems if it was detrimental or unhealthy to my stock 2002, HD would have a recall. Or would they rather I spend $70 for the kit, plus labor to install? No doubt if HD made the update to 2003 models, which they have, they have concluded its better for the engine, or provides a more accurate sensor input(intake charge temp). I think HD should step up here and update our 2002s free of charge. If HD is serious about providing us a quality, troublefree product, they should do so and I shouldn't have to spend another $70-150 for it. I mean its not like they cannot afford to do such. HD, are you listening? or does your corporate profit margins negate such a practice?

·
Registered
450 Posts
vrodtom:

I installed my relo kit myself.

The kit has a new airbox top WITH the sensor location molded into the top left front. The sensor is included and installed in the air box top.
You also get a wiring harness extension and some connectors that have to be installed on the existing IAT wiring ends after they have been cut.

Then you plug it in and reinstall everyting you took off.

All in all, not too difficult.

The kit isn't needed IF you leave the bike stock as it was delivered. AND there are a number of owners that maintain that theirs run fine with a Power Commander.

I am of the opinion that since this is the first year for the motor in production that it makes sense to stay close to what Hd recommends when you are modifying the baseline setting.

So Net, Net "IF YOU WANT TO PLAY YOU'R GONNA PAY" --SOMEBODY

·
Registered
147 Posts
Moving the IAT sensor to a location that will allow it to measure cooler air will help with the timing and fuel curves. High performance Fuel Injected cars benefit from this mod, I would suspect a FI bike would as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
sensor

Do I have to install the airtemp sensor relocation kit if i have S E pipes on and had it recal. already? Is it just for the idle problem? Or is it to lean?
thanks
vrodtom

·
Registered
450 Posts
vrodtom

I couple of questions:

1. I am assuming that you have a 2002.

2. Are you talking about the SE 1 pipes or the SE 2's?? (The SE1's look like the stock ones)

3. Are you having overheating or stalling problems now??

If the answer is YES to 1 and 2 and NO to 3, you DO NOT OFFICIALLY have to do anything.

What Jeff and I have tried to communicate is that fresh cool air is much better for the motor in almost all situations than warm, hot air which makes the motor want to lean itself out more.

The kit is only $69.95 plus tax plus installation (estimated at 2 hours or less at the prevailing shop rate). At that small amount its a steal--in my assessment of course!!

In Las Vegas where its as hot as it is here in Florida I think you will be pleased that you did it.

(If I can help more please let me know)

Regards.

·
Registered
110 Posts
v-rod 1 fl

Thanks for the info. I do have a 2002 and I do have SE1's. I have 9k miles and I don't have any heating or idling problems. Just wanted to know if it is something I should look into. I think I will try and put the kit on myself, just don't like the dealer prices.
thanks
ride safe
vrodtom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts