V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19-year-old nephew is ready to purchase his first new bike. He's 5'10 and weighs about 165 LBS. He really likes the looks, feel, and the price of the 1200c but would like some additional feedback. For example will he feel cramped being 5'10" tall? He's never ridden a sportster with forward controls before. Also he has ridden motorcycles since the age of 8 and raced motocross bikes for three years. I feel this information may be important to your feedback knowing that he has great riding skills and experience. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Kerry

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am a long way from 19 years and I don't weigh 165 lbs. anymore, but I am 5'10" and I have built and ridden two sportsters (I prefer the heavier big twins, but on two occasions the sporties were too good of a deal to pass and they were a blast to build and ride!!). While I prefer the big twins, the sportster "fit" no problem. With forward controls he will have no problems. The sporty handles great and has more than enough power to make him grin, coming from a motocross background, he'll handle it with ease.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Choppa
I got a 1200c a couple of months ago and I love it. I'm only 68" but at 5' 10" I think he'll find it ok with the forward controls. Keep in mind that this is a "cruiser" bike. Go to the dealer and have him sit on it, they may even let him take a short ride, this will help him decide. Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The 1200 sport and custom with the forward controls should work fine. If the forward controls don't appease, go with the standard with mid pegs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Choppa
I have a 2001 1200 Custom and I'm 5'8".
I wanted more leg room so I bought a HD Badlander seat it puts you back several inches and lowers you also. The badlander seat is hard and tough to ride on for those long rides. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten a Mustang seat like it.

But I thought the Duce was to cramped for me also.
I guess it depend on your riding style. I like the bar bike low and long look and feel for now. Untill I can talk the wife into letting me buy a Road King.:cool:

Seeya

BTW Hey Ron

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey Badlander, welcome to the site. Looking at a RK or FLHT in the near future myself. S/O says thats okay. Problem is I want to keep the Sporty also. Whats a guy to do.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input Sporty on order

I just wanted to thank all of you for your input. My nephew ordered his bike Saturday and will have it by March 2002.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ron
If I could I would keep my Sport that way I'd have the best of both worlds a in town haul a$$ bike and a long range Road Hog LOL!!!

Remember you never forget your 1st PIG
:cool:
seeya

1 - 8 of 8 Posts