V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody my dad has a 2001 Road King FLHR that has a lifter click. It is at a certain RPM through all the gears. I was wondering anyones sugestions or ideas to help thanks :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd get in there and see what's up. If it's the lifters, I'd replace ALL four (4) lifters now. Less than a hundred for parts (HD stock lifters), and time. If you add (or if it has) adjustable push-rods, it's a pretty easy job...otherwise, I think you'll have to pull the heads. I'd spend the $150 on adjustables, and 80 or 90 on the lifters to not have to worry about one of the lifters collapsing. That'd screw your dad's day up pretty good. But first...make SURE it's lifter noise, and not something else. If you've got a mechanic friend, possibly ask them to help you sort it out.

Does it 'rattle' at start up then quiet down right away? If so, that's a classic hydraulic lifter noise. If it doesn't rattle at startup, I would tend to think it could be something other than a lifter. Harley's make so damn much noise, it's hard to tell one 'tick' from another, for me. Stuff going on in the back of the bike 'travels', and can sound like it's coming from the front. So make real sure about what's 'ticking' before you commit to anything.

If it IS a lifter, and doesn't rattle at startup but does when the engine's warm, I'd get those puppies out of there, and replace them NOW. That would mean one or more are collapsing a bit when they're fully pressured-up--a clear indication one or more are TOAST. Why it would only do it at a certain RPM is mysterious. But that's why you need to do some further investigation.

Ask your dad not to ride the bike until you get it sorted out.

With the engine warmed up, the lifters should NEVER 'rattle', in my opinion.

Since we're talking about lifters, do some searches on the Harley stock lifters. They used to be highly regarded. But I read a couple of threads a few months ago that called their reliability into question. I haven't seen any more though, so maybe there was nothing to it...

Alan

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
2001? has the cam bearings and shoes been checked? how many miles??

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Yah I gotta shim mine, just been too lazy to crack open the rocker boxes

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello everybody my dad has a 2001 Road King FLHR that has a lifter click. It is at a certain RPM through all the gears. I was wondering anyones sugestions or ideas to help thanks :)
Simple question.What motor oil is he running?
I find that the syn3 and M1 give me a lifter noise around 2500 RPM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry everybody got busy. He is runnin 20w-50 Mobil1 synthetic oil. I believe it has 14,000 or so miles. The noise is when it is warm and cold at that certain rpm. I will let him know the suggestions. Thanks!

·
WideGlide Rider
369 Posts
My motors not supposed to make tapping noises????..........uh,oh

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
There is a diff between sounds you hear everytime you ride and a new sound, that needs checking out, or you could be like my wife and turn the radio up

·
1991 Heritage/2004 Ultra
40 Posts
There is a diff between sounds you hear everytime you ride and a new sound, that needs checking out, or you could be like my wife and turn the radio up
Speaking of that, I was telling my dealer once about a noise that worried me, and he said turn the radio up. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts