V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a great set of custom painted 2000 sheetmetal for my RK.

Now I heard that there was a change with the gas tank (FI) from 1999 to 2000 and that it is not possible to mount a 2000 set on a 1999 without having problems.

Does somebody of you guys know what exactly is involved in a change like this. What about the fenders.

Your input is greatly aprechiated !

(my dealer is kind of lost - i'm sure one you knows the answer)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know the rear fender is different around the brake ite mounting. I have a '00 King and wanted a laydown brake lite. As of a few months ago nobody made one for the '00 and newer. I don't know about the front fender or tank.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx txjimbo - did you find a laydown yet - if yes, where?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A couple of months ago i bought a used gas tank on E Bay, from Zylstra HD for my o2 king, am getting a custom paint job. When verify an 00 tank would fit on a 02 bike, I found that the part# for a 02 road king ends with the numbers "00". I have been told that this means there was a change from 1999, i.e. all 00-13 fi tanks would be interchangeable, but to to/from pre 2000. I am not sure, but I think the fuel injection system in 00 (Morli system) may be different from 99, although not sure. The fi system did change from 01 to 02 (from morli to delphi) and that does Not affect interchangeability.

My dealer was very helpful here (parts guy) as was Corey @ Zylstra HD (Ames, Iowa).

Hope this helps, greg

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Just spell checked last post, if the most recent part # ends in 00, then that part will fit 00 bikes and newer. (if last 2 numbers were 96, then it would fit 96 and newer, etc. If you check the part # for a 2000, or a 2002 you will get the same last 2 numbers. Try checking for a 99 vs a 2000, I think they will be different, which I think means there is some difference.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

The part number for a 2000 FLHR Carbureted fuel tank is 61225-98
It'll fit back to 98.
The part number for 2000 Carbed FLHT, FLHTC and FLTR's is 61227-98
It'll fit bact to 98
The part number for a 2000 FLHRI and FLHRCI is 61268-00
It will not fit a 99 RK

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys - any idea how to make it fit?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I'm guessing. But I 'Think' its not that the actual Tank won't fit, but that the EFI/Fuel line fittings coming out of the tank are different somehow.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Thealien said:
The threaded fuel outlet is different on the FI ones.
I think he wants to know 'how' to make a 2000 FI tank fit a 99 FI.
According to the numbers they are incompatable. Thats a big long word! :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
By jorge I think I got it!
The 2000 up FI Tanks have a Snap in,push in Check valve/fittings for the fuel lines to attach to.
(99 models Threaded?)
Brust60, I think it not the tank, but the lines thats your problem?
If you could figure a way to attach the 2000 fuel lines from the tank to fit your 99 FI Module............

Don't quote me on that!!! :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks a lot guys - think I get my sheetmetal painted!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts