V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ultra Classic with 60,000 miles on it and it has never let me down, but lately I can get on it a little bit....especially like when I go up a steep driveway, and it'll slip...like it's jumping out of gear and then back in. It DOES NOT do it in any other gear. I just had my buddy service it and there was NO metal in the tranny oil. What could it be...and has anybody else had this problem. HELP!!!
Thanks,
Wayne
(15 Harleys)
Tennessee

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
perhaps the belt or the pullys are geting worn and under a load the belt is slipping or you clutch could need adjusted .

LoneEagle

·
Registered
568 Posts
You know what you are feeling, unfortunately the rest of us don't. It almost has to be the belt, though we have no idea when it was last adjusted and what the belt teeth and pulleys look like. If the transmission isn't coming apart, it can't slip, gears don't slip. Chances of it being the clutch becomes less likely because it happens in 1st gear, when the clutch can transfer the power with the least resistance. In 1st gear the engine torque is multiplied by the gearing and the most force is applied to the belt and rear wheel. If there is a single lurch it could even be an intermittent miss in the engine made more noticeable by the low gearing. That it doesn't happen in higher gears makes the miss not very likely. If there are several jerks or even a vibration above a certain throttle position which stops as the throttle is closed it still almost has to be belt or pulley related. Checking belt tension, and condition of front and rear pulley teeth and the belt teeth will probably explain what is happening.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine is starting to do the same thing. I had the frictions out and they are all well within spec. One thing that you can have your friend check is to remove all the plates and frictions out and set the plate down on a plane of glass to see if they are warped. You should see no space lying on the glass. Then, while assembling, make sure all the plates face the same way. There will be a sharp edge and a smooth side, depending on which side you have it facing, it will either be easier to engage or disengage the clutch. Try it with the sharp side facing out. Have him check the basket to see if there are any deep indentations in the clutch basket which will impede the movement of the assembly.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Man

I seriously doubt it could be the belt slipping..
For the belt to slip, each of the belt teeth in engaged with the trans pulley,, And/Or,, each of the belt teeth in engaged with the Wheel pulley would have to Jump a tooth,, that's a big climb....
For that to happen the belt would have to be severely outa adjustment and,, I believe, it woulda been evident waaay before hand..

I once proved, on another forum, that the Cams on the compensator sprocket cannot jump either because the Spring Pack will not recess far enough into it's housing to allow it - IF - the C-S is installed and torqued correctly..
However,, if the C-S is Not torqued and tightened down correctly, there may (but not certainly) be enough space for the C-S cams to jump.. You might go in there & check that C-S out..

Worse case,, fingers crossed,, is the Trans Main-shaft Drive pulley splines are tearing teeth/splines outa the trans drive pulley..
Happened to a Bud once..

If this were my prob, I would first look into Clutch adjustment..

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I would bet your clutch is either out of adjustment or just plain wore out. Start with clutch adjustment. If that doesn't solve the problem then change the clutch friction plates.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Having your buddy service it would be my guess. I expect he's not a qualified H-D mechanic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check the cogs on the belt, sounds like you might have two or threw that have been broke off, when that part of the belt goes over the pulley it will slip, then grab again when a good part of the belt goes over the pulley, low gear it has enough torque to slip, in higher gears your not gassing on it as hard and probable just isnt slipping then. Gears dont slip like that unless you have a tooth broke off , check the easy stuff first, belt, pulleys, clutch, if it isnt any of those its going to get deep in your pockets

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Like others said, "gears don't slip". Neither do belts with cogs. The only thing that slips is the clutch. That's where I would be looking especially with 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I missed the part where it had 60,000miles on it. I would just put a new clutch in. First gear is where all the torque is. This is why at drag school they will tell you nor to lift your feet until you are in second, a lot less pull to lift your feet and unsettle the bike.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Having your buddy service it would be my guess. I expect he's not a qualified H-D mechanic.
I'm gonna miss those witty answers...

anyhow,

I am thinking it may be something other than clutch plates if it is not doing this in second gear. If you can get full power in second gear with no slippage at all I wouldn't think it would be the clutch.
When it is "jumping in and out" does it makes a sound something? Does it "clunk" back in or is it smooth? When it is "out" does it feel as if there is any power to the rear wheel?

rkc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts