V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 sporty 1200 - 2nd cylinder strange noise

Hi everyone, I bought my 2000 sporty xl1200c 6 months ago, and ride it for abouth 5000 miles with no problems. Overall mileage is 15000. Yesterday I put my stock bufflers off to instal custom open mufflers (stock pipes too, i remove only crossover balance pipe ( welding holes to close).

Immediately when i put new mufflers I heard strange whistling noise from second cilinder pipe. Try go back to stock mufflers, putt new mufflers, or without mufflers - this weird whisling sound is there - folowing iddle of engine, coming only from 2nd cylinder pipe...

Also I try to put spark plugs off one by one - try to engine works only with first cylinder - it run, but only with second engine turn off afther few strokes. Quess problem is in second cylinder from which pipe whisling is hearing.

Im not sure if my problem is in ignition, or maybe air intake at first place than in exhaust? Maybe I didn't before hear these odd noise cause with stock mufflers it sound much quiter ( whistling too), Im affraid if there is exhaust ventil damage that whistles...

Try to ride - bike performs well.

Tnx for help. (allso sorry for my bad english too :) )

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hallo.
(I'm not into 1200, but I guess it's like 1340 or bigger.) You told that you have taken off the crossover pipe, so you have removed it from the 2. cylinder right? There should be an gasket between the pipe and the cylinder, I guess it of fallen out, or bend at some way. Get a new gasket and try (you can also start the bike, and search for air leak) The second is to see if there is any air leak between bridge pipe into pipe. But I guess the gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts