V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone having a problem with excessive brake pad wear on their road kings. Is it true that most of the dealerships say to live with the noise? The bike in question is a 2000 Road King, and the rear brake pads wore out in just under 4000 miles. The bike has 14,000 miles and this is the fourth set of pads. Primarilly back road riding.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Few questions for you:

Has the rear rotor been checked for runout?

Who is deciding when the pads are worn out? you or the dealer?

What is pad thickness when old ones are replaced?

70% of your stopping power is in your front brakes. Are you using them everytime you stop? They should definitely get much more use than the rear.

And no, I have 5-6 good friends with 00 and 01 RK's that get at least double that mileage, most times at least 10K.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I replaced the pads on the front of the 02 Glide when it was new with Kevlar pads to get rid of the squeal. The rear was quiet so I left the OEM pads in there.
Bike now has 12K and there is no visible wear on any of the pads, and I use the brakes hard, often from pretty high speed for a Harley, and sometimes I even trailbreak.
No noise of any type after replacing the fronts.

You hear about excessive wear all the time, but I can't figure out what people are doing to wear them out that fast.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Phil, I don't know why you've gone through brakes so fast!!! Dang.

I know I've read a lot about some of the earlier TC-88's "eating" brakes. But your bike is having a buffet!!!;) If Hippo doesn't have an answer for you, I know I certainly don't.

As for the "brake noise", again, it's a regular complaint. On one group, I saw a survey about how members got rid of their brake noise. It was kinda a joke, but only kinda. Some of the possible answers included turn up the radio, get use to it, etc. You get the idea. Seems like a lot of TC-88's generate some brake noise. Some people call it a slight squeal. Some people call it a rubbing sound. However you describe it, there is often a sound generated by TC-88 brakes.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hippo, what brand of kevlar pads? and where would i get them? My 02 king will have over 10k when I get back back from Reno. I was planning to get chrome front calipers so it seems like a good time to change pads ?. thx, greg.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just the cheap EBC Kevlar's, part # FA299. I get them at the local dirtbike shop for like 22 bucks a set. Most of the internet parts houses should have them.

The Lyndall racing pads are very good also, the carbon kevlar gold, but they are expensive, almost 60 bucks a set and it takes three sets as you know.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If anyone wants to stick to harley pads this $hit is very good. We use it on some street cars that run racing brakes and it works like a dream. The lube is also some of the best you can buy for the pins and the backside of the pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts