V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story here but relevant for properly trouble shooting my issue.

It all started when my 2000 FXDX developed an extremely bad primary leak at the main drive seal and trans seal. I live in NYC and have extremly limted soace to do maintenance and in the past replacing those seals is a mother fucker so I decided to take the bike to the stealership and just pay to get the work done while I was out of town for a week. I get the bike back ride home and it's pissing brand new primary fluid all over the place, I go back raise hell and they redo the job free of course but it takes a week. I again bring the bike home it sits a few days and then I go for a ride, about 1 1/2 hours out I notice my clutch cable is completely slacked. I pull over and the adjustment coupling on the cable is physically snapped some how I've had cables break but never the adjust bolts/ coupling (how does this happen anyone?)

So now I order a new clutch cable (barnett) and install it. I go around to the primary clutch cover and go inside to adjust the clutch. The locking nut is missing (thanks again fucking stealership PM if you want to know which one in NYC it was) I get a magnetic tool and was able to fish it out, I inspected the nut and there was no damage or damage in side the primary some miracle. SO......now I do the following.

1.) take all the slack out of the cable adjustment point.
2.) using my hand turn the clutch adjustment allen bolt until it just barely seats
3.) using allen key turn back 1/2 turn.
4.) lock and torque down nut to spec (UNLIKE THE FUCKING MORONS AT THE STEALERSHIP)

After this i go to the adjustment at the cable but even when maxed out there is a good 1/2 in of slack and the level is absurdly hard to pull. I tried lubbing the cable a bunch and saw no improvement. I repeated the steps 1-4 about 4 different times trying move the cable around etc make sure it was snagging something.

I am at a total loss anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
Redo the adjustment starting from scratch using the procedure in the manual would be a good start.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,712 Posts
#1 should be to introduce slack into the cable, not removing the slack.

What are you describing as "slack"? How can the cable have 1/2" slack and the lever (not level, I assume) be hard to pull?

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
1) loosen cable adjuster until there is no tension on the lever
2) break locknut loose on left side clutch push rod
3) turn Allen head in until it makes contact,, go inward 1 full turn.
4) back the Allen head off until pressure is released,, continue loosening an additional 2-3 nut flats,, lock the lock nut down,,,
5) take the slack out of the cable adjuster,,,, pull the lever 2-3 times,, adjust slack for about 1/8" play at the lever,, lock the cable adjuster... test ride it..

·
Registered
232 Posts
1) loosen cable adjuster until there is no tension on the lever
2) break locknut loose on left side clutch push rod
4) back the Allen head off until pressure is released,, continue loosening an additional 2-3 nut flats,, lock the lock nut down,,,
5) take the slack out of the cable adjuster,,,, pull the lever 2-3 times,, adjust slack for about 1/8" play at the lever,, lock the cable adjuster... test ride it..

+1 on this ..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

[/QUOTE]

Why "over tighten" the allen nut out of curiosity?

I've had folks in other forums tell me, after confirming I am properly following the manual procedure, that perhaps the throw out bearing is bad or perhaps the mechanism is stuck forward and needs to be pushed back. (checking later) Is over tightening the allen nut against the push rod reseting the throw out mechanism?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Dont know if you are still screwing with this but it sounds like the ball and ramp might be out of position, pop the cover off and take a look

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was the issue, have trouble getting the clutch fully set now. It's moving etc when adjusted to manual specks but isn't fully disengaging. I wonder if I stretched the cable wrenching on it when the ramp was stuck forward. I've adjusted the clutch like 10 times.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
of you stretched the cable doing that,, the cable is junk anyway,,, new, used or existing,, toss it and get a Barnett cable,,, or motion pro,,, those are the 2 best cables I've used,,, now,,, Barnett clutches,, I wouldn't give 2cents for those..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts