V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Dyna convertible. After a 1000+ miles, I noticed that, after putting the bike in neutral, with the neutral light on, the bike would pop into 1st gear on its own. The first time I noticed it, I was holding in the clutch and noticed the neutral light go out as i revved the engine. Sometimes I will go to start the engine, with the neutral light on, at it will pop into gear and jolt forward. At times, when I am stopped at a red light, I will put it in neutral and as I let out the clutch...it pops into 1st gear and stalls. Of course this does not happen every time and never when I bring it to show the dealer...
My dealer tells me that this will hapen some times and that my bike is not broken in yet. I find this unbelievable. Has this problem happened to any one else?

I would appreciate any comments or advice......Storm

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Are you saying the bike is a 00 and has 1K miles?

When bikes sit a lot clutch plates have a way of sticking together and not fully releasing. That's why they clunk into 1st gear first thing in the morning. Eventually they varnish.
Adjust the clutch cable and pushrod and change primary oil, lube the clutch cable and beat the $hit out of it for a couple hundred miles.

It is also quite possible that because of this condition the bike does not fully shift into neutral, and if this were the case it could slip into gear. The lite can come on even if the bike is not fully engaged in neutral.

You don't ride these things by lites, you need to go by feel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike has 4000 miles on it now and the problem continues. I live in a cold climate so it does sit idle too much for my liking. When I place it in neutral it feels right and when I release the clutch everything is fine for about a second and then it kicks into first. This happens approximately 1 out of every 10-15 times. Thanks for the reply.. It is frustrating when you have to use the clutch to start every time out of worry and at red lights, it is not worth the gamble to put it in neutral..

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, you are there and I'm not.

No way the bike shifts itself from a properly engaged neutral into first gear.

The only possibility would be a defect in the shiftdrum detent cam that would be incredibly obvious to any wrench at a dealer.

It's more likely for something in the gearbox to intermittently drag while in neutral, giving you the impression it is shifting itself into gear, and if it happens 10% of the time it should be easy for a tech to duplicate it during a test ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took my bike back in last fall and they discovered that my bike had a defective shift drum. Now that I put a few more miles on the bike, the problem has started again. It is not a great feeling when your at a red light with the bike idling and all of a sudden it pops into gear on its own.. I hope they can figure it out.. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts