V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new 2006 Softail’s have a standard 200 series tire on the back. HD accomplished this with the same swing arm by changing the rear pulley and belt to a 1” width with thicker spacing between pulley/hub. The swing arm is the same as the older models. I have a colleague that’s making that mod to his 2004 Softail Std.

Can anyone tell me if the same mod is feasible for the Dyna frame/swing arm assy. Meaning changing out the pulley to a 2006 version with the narrower drive belt. A 200-series tire would require a wider fender though, and that may hinder such a mod.

Would the frame allow the change-out to a wider fender?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey what's up a good friend of mine that i went to school with just happenes to be the service manager of golden valley harley in Los Banos CA. He just took delivery of his new 06 night train with the new 200 tire talked asked him the same question the problem is that it is narrower than 1 inch it is actually 7/8 and they only make it in one size that is 3 teeth longer than the one for a dyna. As far as the fender problem I have a 160 rear on a 96 dyna with stock fender a friend has a 180 with a rear chain and 8 inch rear fender where you have to widen the fender struts and on a dyna that involves cutting the struts and welding them back in place with spacers. Any Questions?????

·
Fukengruven
100 Posts
My buddy just showed up with his 06 Softail with the 200mm rear tire, I am so freakin jealous... It looks real nice... I suppose after reading the above post it is NOT possible to do it with the 05 WG, anyone else have any ideas??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why does the rear back tire make so much of a difference on the bike. I never understood this thinking. First off the bike doesn't have that much horsepower that you need a big patch of rubber on the ground. If you were worried who had the larger tire then you should have purchased a big dog or something that has a 320 series. hahah.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I looked at DMCustoms kit, and from the return e-mail he says the Dynas are the easiest to install a 200 kit on. I have an 02 SuperGlide that will need a new rear tire by the end of the season and I REALLY like the 200 on the 06's. IIRC the kit was @$1100 not inc. rear wheel/ tire and paint for the new fender. They told me if I knew how to remove my back wheel I could install the kit myself. Now I just need to talk the CFO into letting me spend the $$$

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
WHOOTZ said:
Why does the rear back tire make so much of a difference on the bike. I never understood this thinking. First off the bike doesn't have that much horsepower that you need a big patch of rubber on the ground. If you were worried who had the larger tire then you should have purchased a big dog or something that has a 320 series. hahah.

Why?
Because it looks awesome and draws compliments from everybody who sees it.
It totally makes the bike.

Boogieman:
HD not only changed the swing arm and belt, but also ises an all new frame to accomodate the parts. It's not a simple change and will require some fabricating on a WG.
It would look awesome if you chose to do it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like a lot of other people... I just don't have the time to give it the attention at this point. Maybe for my next winter project...

·
Fukengruven
100 Posts
Hey Boogieman, do you know if there is a DARE instructor at your base by the name of Camacho?? He would probabaly be a E5 atleast by know..

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Any progress to report?

BoogieMan said:
The new 2006 Softail’s have a standard 200 series tire on the back. HD accomplished this with the same swing arm by changing the rear pulley and belt to a 1” width with thicker spacing between pulley/hub. The swing arm is the same as the older models. I have a colleague that’s making that mod to his 2004 Softail Std.
Can anyone tell me if the same mod is feasible for the Dyna frame/swing arm assy. Meaning changing out the pulley to a 2006 version with the narrower drive belt. A 200-series tire would require a wider fender though, and that may hinder such a mod.

Would the frame allow the change-out to a wider fender?
Just wondering if you can give us an update on how your friend is making out? What parts did he use and what problems did he have?
Thanks, John

·
Fukengruven
100 Posts
I looked a the dmcustoms website and its a fender that you get heres a quote

"New for 02' Dyna 9-1/2" fender allows using a 200 mm size tire on stock swingarm and stock belt no frame modifications"

Is this possible?
I dont know much about the specifics, but I am willing to give it a whirl..

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Wouldn't the shocks be bowed out with being mounted on the top to a wider fender?? There would have to be some kind of spacing on the bottom to even that out( or at least I would think so with my limited wrenching experience).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks to me like the fender bolts to the outside of the fender struts and narrows at the top shock mount?( on the DMCustoms kit) I'm not sure I like the plainness of the fender w/o the struts outside the fender.The 200 doesn't look all that big inside that fender IMO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My mom and dad recently aquired 2003,s. Mom got an 03 FB with that 200mm tire and matching fender to match the cobalt blue. These wide wheels do look cool. I took it for a ride and noted how it feels till about 60mph. The bike finds every bump and is more sensitive to the road also. Be careful around turns, you will lose a little cornering radius too. Anyone put some serious mi on one of these set ups: Tire wear, pressure, overall practicality, mpg. The person she bought the bike from gave her the orig, tire and fender just in case. Besides the bling, what are some HO,s .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Snowman, I wasn't blowing you off. Just heard from my buddy. He's been Deployed apparently and just got back. He's thinking he'll wait until this coming winter for the project. He doesn't want to lose any riding time... Can't say's I blame him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts