V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too familiar with installing wide tires. What size should the rim be for this size and has anyone put anything bigger than a 180 on a Street Bob?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
This is actually a complex upgrade. The kits I've seen run $1500+, and you still have to buy the wide rear rim.

It boils down to three major items (with a myriad of minor items)
Cut off fender struts, replace with with wider versions
Replace rear fender
Replace the swingarm
mount and install rear wheel

come by my office, I think I've got an American Iron with a company that sells wide tire kits for Dynas.

·
Faithful to the bottle
487 Posts
www.hdwheels.com can sell you one for arond 1k minus the tire, or aroound 800 if they use your old hub minus tire. Its basically the hub/spacing that is the issue. I have a 200 wheel from a 07 softail that I may try to make work. its been sitting on a shelf for a few months but I have seen it done on a german web site. They used the night train wheel but should be the same as the regular softail. well see how it goes but so far I have already had to make a custom hub spacer because the distance between the berings are different on the 200 softail wheel than any other bike.
-S

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THEStinger said:
www.hdwheels.com can sell you one for arond 1k minus the tire, or aroound 800 if they use your old hub minus tire. Its basically the hub/spacing that is the issue. I have a 200 wheel from a 07 softail that I may try to make work. its been sitting on a shelf for a few months but I have seen it done on a german web site. They used the night train wheel but should be the same as the regular softail. well see how it goes but so far I have already had to make a custom hub spacer because the distance between the berings are different on the 200 softail wheel than any other bike.
-S
The Night Train is where I got the idea. It was the first HD I test rode. I like the look and handling of the big tire. If spacing is the only issue that is easy. I don't want to do a swingarm swap or anything too crazy.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
In Australia I have spoken to a company that puts 200 softail wheels in dynas
with no hassle, same struts,same fender, new spacers with the docking kit fitted for spacing issues, I have also spoken to a guy with a VRod 200 in an 07 Lowrider so it can be done and it would seem not that complex.......I will be going down that road myself

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daz said:
In Australia I have spoken to a company that puts 200 softail wheels in dynas
with no hassle, same struts,same fender, new spacers with the docking kit fitted for spacing issues, I have also spoken to a guy with a VRod 200 in an 07 Lowrider so it can be done and it would seem not that complex.......I will be going down that road myself
Everything seems to point to a no hassle install. Now to figure out if requires a 18x5.5" or 18x6" Rim

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
in another forum the 5.5 rim was the more popular choice for space issues and tyre options, thats whet I was considering

·
Registered
6 Posts
here is my 200 rear

in another forum the 5.5 rim was the more popular choice for space issues and tyre options, thats whet I was considering
hey man here is my 200 rear.... all i did was purchase a 18x 5.5 rim and a pulley spacer from andrei at www.hdwheels.com and it bolted right on... i just had to remove the inner fender strut brace it was rubbing the tire...

·
Registered
55 Posts
What was the pulley spacer for? Did you have any problem getting it inspected w/o dedicated rear turn signals? Great job BTW! That 200mm Metz looks great on your Street Bob.

hey man here is my 200 rear.... all i did was purchase a 18x 5.5 rim and a pulley spacer from andrei at www.hdwheels.com and it bolted right on... i just had to remove the inner fender strut brace it was rubbing the tire...

·
"3 feet high'n rising..."
737 Posts
hmmmm....

I say, hmmmmm.

I feel a mod coming on. I can tell because my wallet is starting to ache all over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wrecked back in October of 07, and have had my bike rebuilt and mods, but have been really curious about a 200 in back. How does the larger tire affect handling and overall performance?

07 FXDB

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
Wow

-S
Only 1 grand to make your bike harder to lean-in and add unsprung weight.bargain. seriously, can you really tell the difference between a 180 and a 200?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What was the pulley spacer for? Did you have any problem getting it inspected w/o dedicated rear turn signals? Great job BTW! That 200mm Metz looks great on your Street Bob.
the spacer is to move the pulley over so the belt spins straight....

i am working on turn signals now

·
Registered
20 Posts

the lisence plate holder you have on your bike, where did you get it and what brand? I love it and I think it sets your bike apart! Great rear end lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts