V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ANOTHER DAMN YANKEE
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys and gals have done your own 20,000 mile service. What did you find? Anything to watch out for? Pretty much work on my own bike with the help of my service manual. Just wondering if paying 500 bucks is worth it. I would rather do it myself and know it was done right any pointers?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
20,000 is not a magic number. Just hit everything on the service schedule. Remember that most of those things are just things to check. I would never pay a dealer to service my bike. Thats the biggest rip off there is. If you want it done right do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As already mention, do the work yourself as long as your comfortable with that. The $500 saved can go towards a good jack/lift and the nec tools.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
I did my own. There were a couple of things I wasn't real sure about (fall away adjustment) but once I started it all became pretty clear. It wasn't bad at all.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I did mine as well. Only think I was confused about was repacking the rear fork bearings. Couldn't figure out how to do that, or even if it is really needed on my ride. Got conflicting responses when I asked/searched on this forum.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Agree with all the do it responses. Assuming you have the service manual, just take your time. I enjoy it, and feel great on the bike once it's done. Takes me days, sometimes weeks. I'll do a little bit here, a little bit there. Made a checklist on the computer & printed it out so I can keep track. Good stuff all the way.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Just did my own 40k service (and all but the first 2 services)...it's the same as any 10k service but you pay more attention to wear items such as belt, cables, switches, bearings...etc...

·
ANOTHER DAMN YANKEE
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well last spring before i went to Daytona I changed primary fluid and adjusted the chain, checked my drive belt tension and have adjusted my clutch cable. This past weekend I noticed a little clunk noise in the steering neck and adjusted my fall away. I have also serviced my trans and changed my oil. I do alot of the wrenching on my bike myself. From what I have read in the service manual and learned from yall I dont think this 20,000 mile service should be that hard. I will have to check my spokes never knew how to do that untill i read it here. Just had a new front tire put on Saturday so there shouldnt be any issue there but will check it anyways. I`m a forklift mechanic by trade and am looking forward to this. Being a past snowmobile racer its like always running a wrench over everything just to make sure. Thanks for all the help everyone.This place rocks.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Just did my own 40k service (and all but the first 2 services)...it's the same as any 10k service but you pay more attention to wear items such as belt, cables, switches, bearings...etc...
swmnkdinthervr, how did you repack etc your rear fork bearings? Thats all I have left to do, but can't figure out how. IMS, the bearings are pressed into the frame so they won't come out very easily. The manual also states they need to be repacked in the maintenance section, but it also states they don't need repacking in the rear fork section. I is confused...

·
Registered
4 Posts
maintenance checklist

Does any one have a maintenance checklist for a 2007 fxstb harley nightrain? Maybe one that breaks down for every 5000kms starting from new with some room to add torque specs? I want to check bolt torques on most bolts but don't know where to start and where to finish?

·
Registered
15,904 Posts
Get a service manual for your bike. It'll have all that info and more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
swmnkdinthervr, how did you repack etc your rear fork bearings? Thats all I have left to do, but can't figure out how. IMS, the bearings are pressed into the frame so they won't come out very easily. The manual also states they need to be repacked in the maintenance section, but it also states they don't need repacking in the rear fork section. I is confused...
I'm confused too... Manual for my 07 lists repack rear fork bearings in the 20,000 mile service. But I read the instructions for removing rear fork bearings and find:

"The spherical bearings are lifetime lubricated and will require
no further attention other than cleaning. The sleeve type
spherical bearings, if not damaged, will last the life of the
motorcycle."

I guess for now, I will side with the repair pages, and expect they are lifetime bearings...

-Marty

·
not sober all the time
5,304 Posts
I'm confused too... Manual for my 07 lists repack rear fork bearings in the 20,000 mile service. But I read the instructions for removing rear fork bearings and find:

"The spherical bearings are lifetime lubricated and will require
no further attention other than cleaning. The sleeve type
spherical bearings, if not damaged, will last the life of the
motorcycle."

I guess for now, I will side with the repair pages, and expect they are lifetime bearings...

-Marty
This thread started in 2007 and you quoted petrock who hasn't posted in over three years. If you have a question you may want to start a new thread.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
:censored: Sorry guys! I need to pay better attention...
No sorry necessary....

I have the HD service manual for my 2012 Road King. The manual covers all of the 2012 Touring Models, and there are differences regarding which model needs what, and how to. You might wanna check you manual to be sure you're reading the correct info for your particular model.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts