V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm easing in to doing some of my own maintenance now. I changed my oil last week, drain plug in an easy to reach spot. I changed my primary fluid today, drain plug in an nice easy to reach spot. I changed my tranny fluid.... Apparently they fired the engineer that designed the oil and primary systems and hired some boob to work on the location of the tranny drain plug. Directly in between the shocks (03 Heritage Softail) and out of sight. Threw it on the jack and naturally one of the crossbars for the jack lines up exactly with the drain plug with the bike perfectly balanced.
I've worked on a lot worse. I just thought it was funny that the first two were so accessible and the third one was well hidden.

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
After asking "Where the heck is it?", I really haven't had much problem getting it out and back in. I've found it easiest to do it with the bike on the ground, on the kickstand (no lift parts interfering). I just feel for it, and stick the allen wrench in. When putting the plug back in, I set it in the wrench and feel my way to the hole. Really not too difficult.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it done no problem. I just thought it's location was comical in comparison to the oil and primary drain plugs. I had to crawl a little but it was still WAY cheaper that the dealership.
Springer, thanks for the vote of confidence!
Note to self, get mirror for harley shed. Good idea. Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
FLSTCMIKE said:
OK, so I'm easing in to doing some of my own maintenance now. I changed my oil last week, drain plug in an easy to reach spot. I changed my primary fluid today, drain plug in an nice easy to reach spot. I changed my tranny fluid.... Apparently they fired the engineer that designed the oil and primary systems and hired some boob to work on the location of the tranny drain plug. Directly in between the shocks (03 Heritage Softail) and out of sight. Threw it on the jack and naturally one of the crossbars for the jack lines up exactly with the drain plug with the bike perfectly balanced.
I've worked on a lot worse. I just thought it was funny that the first two were so accessible and the third one was well hidden.

I go in phases where I am not very motivated to work on my bikes, but I am sensitive to their maintainance intervals and need the bike daily, so eventually I drag myself into the tasks.

The funny thing is that once I start working on the bike, I really get into doing whatever needs to get done, and spend the time to look over all the little things that can sneak up on a person.

Maintaining your own bike can be an unwelcome task at times, but in addition to saving quite a few $$$, I think I do a better job than any mechanic just because I really care about my bike at a personal level. Not that there arent good mechanics out there, but it is different when you work on your own bike.

I am not a bike washer by nature, but that probably provides a similar chance to go over the bike and notice things that need attention. Maybe its time for the bikes seasonal washing! I am afraid that once I put sponge to tank, it will cause rain.

Hey, anyone remember the S100 bike wash ads, with the guy in his driveway watching his neighbor ride down the street with the caption "why is he riding while im still cleaning"? hahaha, like dude, get out an ride, clean later! dam!

but thats just me being crabby.

-dogtown max

1 - 6 of 6 Posts