V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a thread that one of the two chambers on a 2 into 2 pipe is more cosmetic than functional. Is this the case on all pipes?

What are the benefits of the 2 into 1 design? I am considering VH "Big Shots" for Softail Heritage. They promote their "power chamber" which they claim works better than 2 into 1's... Appreciate anyone's help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On stock left exhaust is mostly cosmetic ...

After several thousand miles it becomes very obvious that greater than 75% of exhaust is coming out right side of Road Kings and Electraglides. I've heard numbers ranging from 70-90% but have never measured. The benefit of a tuned 2-1 exhaust is that the reflection of the pressure wave from each exhaust pulse can cause a slight vacuum and scavenge exhaust from the opposite cylinder's next exhaust cycle. No pipe can work at all rpms so you want one that provides a wide band of torque where you ride. Straight pipes are good for noise and drag racing where you keep the bike at high rpms constantly. Not very friendly to street riding and touring.

Here are my results from 2-1 as posted a few days ago:
On my 02 FLHTCUI I installed WB 2-1 exhaust, SE breather kit and had the stage 1 reflash to EFI. The dyno numbers increased from 66.3 to 77.5 max hp and 75.7 to 85.7 ft-lb max torque.

The impressive part is that the torque curve stays over 80 ft-lb from 2500 to 4900 rpm.and stays over 84 ft-lb from 3000 to 4200 rpm. That is exactly where I need the curve to peak for my street riding style.

I have no idea about that power chamber but they could very well have made it work for some band of rpm that suits you. A dyno is really the only way to test pipes because "seat-of-the-pants" estimates are typically skewed because of the noise and the "I fucked with it so it must be better" mentality.

Many pipes do lose power (not just on Harleys) but produce a desirable sound and that is what some riders want.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think that you will find that if you are looking for the most power the 2-1 is the way to go. Most of the big dyno numbers you see are done with some kind of 2-1, mostly Thunderheaders. However there are many other choices out there. White Bros. which dxxxiii used has an advantage of being adjustable. There is also Hard Krome, Hooker Headers, V&H and I believe that samson makes some but they do not fit all bikes.

Currently I am trying to decide bettween a Thunderheader and a Hard Krome eXcelerator. Haven't seen or heard the HK yet and that will help me make my final decsion.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't want to sacrifice power/torque for sound, but I really don't like the 2-into-1 look. Especially since I ride a 2002 RK, that's carb.ed. I want something that maintains the 2-into-2 look, get a better sound, and atleast maintains, if not improves, my power/torque. J.T.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipe on my '01 road king and I love it. I don't see anything wrong with the look and the increase in power was worth it. I have a modified engine, but changing from from Samsons to this set up increased my HP from 74.6 to 87.3 and my torque from 94.8 to 97.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Poseidon, I just went from samson 2-2 to the D&D Fat Cat pipe. My buddy has the V&H Pro-pipe HS on his 95" Night Train and it rocks.

Personally, I think the Thunderheader is ugly, but performance is hard to ignore. So, to be different, and after doing some homework on the 'net, it appears the D&D is getting great response from the press on performance, fit, finish and sound. The Fat Cat outperformed the HK Xcelerator in head to head testing in the latest CycleWorld exhaust shootout.

I found my set for $460 on wallyscycleworld.com. They haven't come in yet, but when I get them installed I'll post results after break-in.

FWIW, www.danddexhaust.com

·
Registered
246 Posts
buxndos said:
Poseidon, I just went from samson 2-2 to the D&D Fat Cat pipe. My buddy has the V&H Pro-pipe HS on his 95" Night Train and it rocks.

Personally, I think the Thunderheader is ugly, but performance is hard to ignore. So, to be different, and after doing some homework on the 'net, it appears the D&D is getting great response from the press on performance, fit, finish and sound. The Fat Cat outperformed the HK Xcelerator in head to head testing in the latest CycleWorld exhaust shootout.

I found my set for $460 on wallyscycleworld.com. They haven't come in yet, but when I get them installed I'll post results after break-in.

FWIW, www.danddexhaust.com
Thanks for the info, had never heard of D&D, do you know if the cycleworld review is online? I agree that the thunderheader doesn't look the best but did you see fulldraws bike here. Thanks again for your input

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Personally, I think the Thunderheader is ugly, but performance is hard to ignore.
I couldn't agree more!!! The performance is WHAT I could not ignore, and the thunderheader has outperfomed everything these eyes have seen on a dyno. The thunderheader also is a "can't f u c k with it" pipe...no removable baffle. The V & H Pro Pipe is one of the best looking 2-1 designs...put a race baffle in it and it sounds way better, all things equal it does not have the sound or the performance of the thunderheader.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts