V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 EFI Road King that has about 14,470 miles on it. I have a Stage 1 Air Cleaner, Hooker Tuned Flow mufflers and the stock headers and I just installed Andews 21G Gear Driven CAM's in it. The right side muffler is all discolored and scratched and I would like to go with a 2 into 1 exhaust system for the bike.

My choices are:

V & H Pro-Pipes which I'm not really crazy about looks wise. I did have Longshots on my Fatboy and liked the way they looked.

Samson Caliber 2 into 1's. These look pretty cool from the photos. Are they as good looking in real life? How are they performance-wise? What's the quality like?

D & D Fat Cats. I've seen these and really don't like the way they look but I heard good things about them regarding performance.

Supertrapp 2 into 1's. Are they still good? You don't seem to hear much about them but www.nightrider.com has good things to say about them and they got good reviews years ago.

Bassani Road Rage. I saw them in person about a year ago and the chrome plating was not that great. Are they better now? They are expensive.

Thunderheaders. Chrome plating on these wasn't that good about a year ago either. Are they better now?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Sprags said:
Thunderheaders. Chrome plating on these wasn't that good about a year ago either. Are they better now?
I have never seen any bad chrome plating on the TH pipes, and there are allot around here. I ran one last year for about 3000 miles with no problems at all, and now I have another one on this year(long story) and have already done 1000 miles on it and no problems at all.

For me it was a no-brainer.......once I rode with a couple of guys who had TH, that was what I knew I wanted.

Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought Thunderheaders two summers ago and was very disappointed with the quality of the plating (peeling, voids, even rust on the non-plated areas). Luckily I was able to return them for a refund.

Any opinions on any of the others?

·
Registered
454 Posts
ProPipe

I must be one of the few people on this forum who thinks the ProPipe is the best looking 2-1, because I keep hearing about how ugly they are! I recently installed a ProPipe on my 05 Dyna and I couldn't be happier. The pipe looks great, sounds perfect - a nice deep mellow rumble when cruising and a good bark when you wind the throttle open, went on perfectly, and feels like it gave me a bit more power. I'll need to get the PCIII installed to really realize any significant power gain, but at this point I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just reput on my LSR-1 c model. I like it. Good power band with it. Not as smooth feeling as my Longshots and thunder monsters and a different sound too. But the performance on my bagger is noticeable. keepem sharp

PS I haven't seen another one either.

·
Livin the dream
338 Posts
I went with road rage just to try them out and give others feedback on them. I couldnt find much info on them. They were pretty quiet when new. I modified the stock baffle to make it louder, now its pretty loud. The black ceramic is chipping off because I dont snap the bottoms of my chaps and they flap in to the rear head pipe.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Sprags said:
I bought Thunderheaders two summers ago and was very disappointed with the quality of the plating (peeling, voids, even rust on the non-plated areas). Luckily I was able to return them for a refund.

Any opinions on any of the others?
I gotta ask the stupid question. You did purchase the heat shields right? I have TH and don't have any problems at all. I hear many people say they say discoloration and this and that. And then they tell me. "Oh no, I didn't want to pay for the heat shields." :duh?:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thunderheaders....

I didn't buy the heat shields...but...i didn't even install them. The chrome was peeling and chipping and the pipes were rusty when I took them out of the box.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I definately would have sent them back. I just got my Thunderheaders, and though I never really liked the look of them, they give performance and sound for sure, and so far, the chrome has been flawless.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Sprags said:
I didn't buy the heat shields...but...i didn't even install them. The chrome was peeling and chipping and the pipes were rusty when I took them out of the box.
Don't count out the TH. I think you just got the pair that was made on Friday afternoon and the guy was trying to punch the clock and get home. I'm sure it happens to all suppliers on some scale.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Heat Shields are a must....

Sprags said:
All the other pipes to which people compare Thunderheaders have heat shields, too. I have thousands of miles on a tuned Thunderheader; it looks, sounds, and performs excellently.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mcfly said:
What about the V&H Bigshots? Technicaly they are a 2in1. I think they look and sound pretty fucking good.

Those do look good. I had Longshots on my Fatboy and they're kinda like those. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
McFly,
They do look nice. But how are they a 2:1? These are what my 2:1 look like. Did you mean that those just don't have the crossover?

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Mcfly said:
What about the V&H Bigshots? Technicaly they are a 2in1.
They are a 2 into 2, not a 2 into 1.

Steve

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
2 into 2 my A$$...they've got the "power chamber" crossover, which is better than any 2-1 out there:spank: :spank: :spank:

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
bedemonster said:
2 into 2 my A$$...they've got the "power chamber" crossover, which is better than any 2-1 out there:spank: :spank: :spank:
Still not a 2 into 1 by any stretch of the imagination.

Steve

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
bedemonster said:
And what the heck is a "power chamber" crossover? Never heard of it. And what source are you using to say that these are better than 2:1's. I've always been told that 2:1's were THE BEST performance pipes. I could be wrong.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
bedemonster said:
They are a 2-2 and the performance isn't even close to a good 2-1. A hole between the two mufflers do not make much difference even if you call it a "power chamber"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was trying to be diplomatic with my response. I don't really see them as being 2 into 1's though.

Anyone have the Samson 2 into 1's ???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts