V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My wife and I are thinking of retiring and going "full time" in an RV. (Travel trailer). Sure don't want to give up the bikes.

Can you fit a Softail Std. and a Dyna Low Rider in the back of a full sized pick-up? The bikes are basically "stock", no bags,etc. (Truck has not been purchased yet.)

You experience is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
really not practical for what you want to do. yes, an 8 ft bed woud work, but the only way to get those anymore is in a standard cab or a 40,000 dollar hard to manuever 3/4 ton.you would also look at the ramp angle--can you say everest?
as an old racer, might i suggest an rv that has the drop rear door and bike compartment in the rear?
http://www.rvclassified.com/rvclassified_cfmfiles/search/dealer.cfm?customerid=30621&ref=#TOY HAULER

maybe that link will work and give you an idea. if not just google for rv and motorcycle hauling.

·
Banned
873 Posts
I've seen two bikes in the back of a truck before. But I'd want to try it before I bought the truck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think it could be done but your going to need a minimum 2500-3500 series truck. The Bikes alone would max out the payload of a 1500. Your better off finding a travel trailer with the toy hauler in the back, they will hold two bikes.Keep n mind your still going to want a 2500 to pull that beast and if you plan long trips I would go diesel.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Trade in the bikes for a couple of baggers and ride. No better way to see America than on a bike.
Otherwise get a toy hauler or pull the bikes in an enclosed trailer behide the RV.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Loading and unloading would be a bitch even if you did manage to shoe horn em in there. Have you ever loaded one bike into a pickup bed? Ok, now try it with just you and the wife. How often do you wanna do that?
With toy hauler type travel trailer, drop the door, and you are riding!

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
I wouldn't think so, based on the fact that you want to pull a trailer. Aside from the load question, you would probably have to stagger the bikes, which means dropping the tailgate. I'm only basing this on carrying my Fatboy in a 6.5' bed F-150. I have enough room for the bike and ramps and that's it. The rear wheel sits just inside the bed, with the front wheel in a chock and the gate down/bed extender in place. If you staggered the bars at the front in an 8' bed, you would need to leave the gate down at the rear. And like mentioned earlier, you should be looking at, at least a F-250/2500 size truck.

If I was thinking this way I'd be looking at a self-contained RV with a bike area in the back, or pulling a trailer behind it. Or, put one bike in an 8' bed on the truck, let your wife pull the trailer, and ride your bike! :)

·
Rider
848 Posts
I know this isn't what you asked but how bout getting a similiar sized motor home and pull the bikes on a trailer behind it. You could probably get a pretty nice motor home and trailer for the same cost as a truck and travel trailer. Just a thought.

·
C'ya on the road
146 Posts
Dog Folks said:
Greetings,

My wife and I are thinking of retiring and going "full time" in an RV. (Travel trailer). Sure don't want to give up the bikes.

Can you fit a Softail Std. and a Dyna Low Rider in the back of a full sized pick-up? The bikes are basically "stock", no bags,etc. (Truck has not been purchased yet.)

You experience is appreciated.
I have gone thru all the different options mentioned here in this thread and I can only recommend one. Start with a self contained Motor home. Invest in an enclosed motorcycle trailer large enough for at least two dresser's. You now have a way to take your bike's with you, out of sight, out of the weather, low entry height, a garage, extra space to store things, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I have 2 non-ride anywhere buddies that haul a Fat Boy and Low Rider in an F-150. They fit with no rubbing.

Coming back from Daytona, I saw 2 Electra Glides in the bed of an F-250. Look like a tight fit.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
IMO. No, you can't get both bikes in the back of your truck. I load my Road Glide up in the back of my truck to escape the Minnesota winters and head south. There is barely enough room in there for the bike and the ramps. It is a tight fit. BTW, mine is a standard side bed.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I've done it. Here's what it took: Dodge 3/4 ton with 8 foot bed. Used four 2x12 boards 8 feet long, hinged them all together so they would open up 4 feet wide. Removed the tailgate. Had big eyebolts in the outer boards so I could lay the end of the big ramp on the step bumper and tie the ramp in place with tiedown straps. My truck is a 4x4 diesel and so the ramp angle is (like someone said) like Everest.
Rode one up the ramp into the bed as far to one side as possible. Fold up pegs, etc, and got it right next to the fender well. Rode the other one up but stopped a bit short, then dragged it around to miss that other fender well.
Stuck some cardboard between the bikes and the fender wells. Used a lot of tiedowns, including drilling holes in the front of the truck bed.
Folded up the big giant very heavy ramp and ran it down one side of the bed so it sat on the fenderwell. Put the tailgate back on.
This whole deal was so much fun that after the trip, I put the ramp away and bought a Wells Cargo 8 x 20 enclosed bike hauler.
Yes, you can get both bikes in a truck. It is not fun....

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Yep, like DavidIII says, it can be done. Hubby and I have done it several times in our Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton, with my Heritage (w/bags) and his Honda 1800VTX (w/bags). We have the 3-piece motorcycle ramp (can't remember the name of it), and just run the bikes up the ramp. It's a tight fit, but can be done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.