V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As recommended by other forum members (for performance reasons),

Got a Street Bob 2016 and looking for some SHORT LENGTH 2-1 exhaust systems that add little/decent power. Any price range, I just want to see what's out there.

Anyone know about either of these exhaust systems? Arlnes F bomb or Vance and Hines competition ?

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Idk of any forum members that recommend short mufflers. Can you name one member?

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
As recommended by other forum members (for performance reasons),

Got a Street Bob 2016 and looking for some SHORT LENGTH 2-1 exhaust systems that add little/decent power. Any price range, I just want to see what's out there.

Anyone know about either of these exhaust systems? Arlnes F bomb or Vance and Hines competition ?
Short is a look, not a performance option. A performance pipe is going to terminate well back along the control arm.

If you want a high end performance pipe look at Trask or Two Brothers and as long as your pocket is deep, Feuling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This pipe is short, and some would say it looks fast. Fact is, it's crap. Just loud, nothing else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trask

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Brothers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And since money is no object, this is prolly the pipe you should go with. The best of the bunch.

Feuling 2-1 pipe

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Well if I had the bucks I would go with the Feuling. Actually I have too much money, but I don't have the bike. I like how the rear manifold pipe is away from the thigh and if Therm recommends it that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
17,324 Posts

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
I guess we'll never have that problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Not loaded, but if I get tired of driving/riding something then I will start looking for another ride and sell the one I have. I do have a stash of stocks I could spend as I am 67 and might as well have fun. I live comfortable enough so the money will go to college education for whichever of my great grandchildren want to have a career instead of working at Walmart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Short is a look, not a performance option. A performance pipe is going to terminate well back along the control arm.

If you want a high end performance pipe look at Trask or Two Brothers and as long as your pocket is deep, Feuling.

i'm aware its more of a look but I figured if its 2 into 1 it would be better than the Vance and Hines I have (which is what came with the bike when I bought it). Are you saying the performance difference be be really insignificant (V&H short shots VS short 2 into 1)

My guess is the Two Brothers exhaust would be the shortest I could go .. something the ends at the passenger pegs what do you think? Personally I just don't like the fact that everyone has one where I live and to me it looks kind of generic. The issue is, I want the best of both worlds .. short exhaust and some more performance.

BTW when I say "I want performance" Im not talking about a substantial amount. The factory power is decent enough for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Kind of digging the Trask Assault 2-1 exhaust actually. When I do find an exhaust, is there any way I can search evidence that the pipes will make a difference i.e. numbers, etc?

either Trask or the Two Brothers

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Kind of digging the Trask Assault 2-1 exhaust actually. When I do find an exhaust, is there any way I can search evidence that the pipes will make a difference i.e. numbers, etc?

That's cool I like that pipe they don't seem overly loud. Do you have the Van Hines long shots? I had some on a heritage came with the bike. I had to wear an earplug in my right ear.

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
i'm aware its more of a look but I figured if its 2 into 1 it would be better than the Vance and Hines I have (which is what came with the bike when I bought it). Are you saying the performance difference be be really insignificant (V&H short shots VS short 2 into 1)

My guess is the Two Brothers exhaust would be the shortest I could go .. something the ends at the passenger pegs what do you think? Personally I just don't like the fact that everyone has one where I live and to me it looks kind of generic. The issue is, I want the best of both worlds .. short exhaust and some more performance.

BTW when I say "I want performance" Im not talking about a substantial amount. The factory power is decent enough for me.
The length of the primary tubes is the most important. Then the length of the large section after the merge, usually in the area of 12 inches. On a street pipe the length after the merge is more about sound control. The longer the baffle, the less restrictive it can be. And the primary tubes need to be as close to the same legnth as is reasonable given the fitment. This is where short shots fail. The rear pipe is shorter than the front. In my experience, Short Shots are the only pipe out there that is worse than a drag pipe. I saw a 95 inch Dyna loose 11pf of torque on the Dyno when the SE slip ons and oem head pipe were replaced with Short Shots. With a baffle in they choke the motor. There's no room in an 1 3/4 pipe for a baffle. It chokes the flow off to about a 3/4 inch pipe. And with out the baffle, they are too short, way less than the 34-38 inches where straight pipes work best (And that best is pretty bad)

With that said, for what these places charge for production pipes, you can have a pipe made.

If you want the pipe to end at the rear peg, then go with what ever look floats your boat. A pipe that short is not going to be about performance, unless you put a blower on it.

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts

Email them, ask for some dyno results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's cool I like that pipe they don't seem overly loud. Do you have the Van Hines long shots? I had some on a heritage came with the bike. I had to wear an earplug in my right ear.

tbh i like riding loud bikes.. feels like im riding some kind of wild animal or something.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
hey you guys are telling me that short exhaust arent going to produce anything , im seeing this dyno test results here (TBH dont really know how to read it) but it looks like the arlness f bomb is pretty good. HAMMER PERFORMANCE - High Performance for your Harley Twin Cam, Evo Big Twin, Sportster or Buell! 208-696-1250

im aware that this is for a sportster but i think its safe to say it will increase performance on my street bob from stock and from vance and hines short shots.
The primaries on those pipes are not all that short. Notice how the rear pipe runs all the way to the front of the motor to get room for the length. Now go look at the rear pipe on a short shot, or the primaries on one of those side dump pipes. With that said, that short can is going to leave some torque on the table. Now go look at a Thunder Header, a D&D Fat Cat or Borzila. Those are the go to pipes for making a V-twin into a street racer. All three have faults, but all three will make gobs and gobs of torque when tuned properly.

·
not sober all the time
5,821 Posts
what the hell are you talking about ?
It's a joke. From my experience, riding and modding is an expensive addiction. At the moment your specific addiction is finding the perfect pipe for you and your machine. Looks like you may have found it. Happy riding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts