V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding today to do a little tire kicking. I'm looking at getting another bike.
So all of a sudden I start hearing this rattling noise, seems to be coming from the front end somewhere. I reach down, start pushing on various parts, trying to isolate it, no luck, and I'm wearing a full face helmet so I can't hear it too well anyway.
Well, I get home and start messing around and there it is! The little dome lookin' thing in the headlight has come loose and it's ratlling around in there. Of course, this thing does NOT come apart!
So, there I am, doing the ship in a bottle routine to get this thing back in place. I got it, but I'm not confident it'll stay.
Next move, to convince the dealer to get me a new one.
Stay tuned.
Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
All ready had mine back to the dealer twice, All the wheel bearings seals went out
within 200 miles, and had a cam cover leak, they installed a new gasket.
Now a 1000 miles and everything is OK.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes Buellbomb all four bearings.
The front two went first and the back was starting to throw grease
so they replaced all four.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have good news on grease coming from front wheel bearings, it seems that the company that produced these bearings put in too much grease and when the bearings heat up, our comes the excess grease. The dealer cleaned up the mess, I have ridden another 80 miles and no grease and no apparent problems with the bearings. I hope it is this easy. Be interested if anyone else has this problem.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
300 miles

I've been keeping a close eye on my wheel bearings thanks to you guys. I am experiencing the same tell tail signs of leaking seals as you all. Hopefully it is just excess grease, but I am going to get it checked before the weekend. Other than that the bike is solid and begs to be ridden (fast), but not for a couple more hundred break-in miles.

Rob

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
500 miles!

Had to ride the last 65 miles in damp chilly high 30/40 deg. weather, but got it done. Tomorrow I can finally let her breath. I feel a 12-hour flu bug coming on;)

Showed my leaky wheel bearings to the service manager. They filed a warranty claim and will be speaking to the factory Monday 03/18. With all these other reports of bearing issues, H-D must be aware of the problem. Will know more Monday PM. Stay tuned

Other than that the only other issues I have are:

Balky shifting (on a Harley? who-duh thunkit?)

Small stones and crud accumulating in radiator duct must me vacuumed daily.

Too quiet, need pipes.

Constant gawking whenever you come to a stop. "Nice Porsche, dude"

Buddies wanting to swap scooters for the day.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I was waiting for the my V-Rod to be shipped, I called the shipping department in KS to inquire about the bike. While on the phone with the guy, I asked if there had been any problems reported so far. He said the only problems have been with the early production models having too much grease in the wheel bearings. It's just a matter of cleaning up the mess and being on your way. It was fixed by the time the dealers started receiving their 2nd and 3rd bikes.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
bearings

I'd keep an eye out on them, especialy up front. My bike was no. 5 at my dealer. The factory advised the same fix as everyone else on here. They said not to worry and they would replace all four w.b. on my 1K service. That's coming up this Thurs. 03/28.

The only other issue I have is my OEM rear pulley is showing signs of rubbing on the belt guard. Dealer said they'd fix that too.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
rhauft,

When you get a minute, take a look at the chrome pulley with chrome upper/lower belt guards on my website (assuming the bandwidth hasn't been exceeded). It did wonders for dressing up the left side of the bike! Since your dealer is replacing it, maybe they can credit you the cost of the OEM and then apply that towards the chrome?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Chrome Magnet

H-Hog,
Thanks for the tip but I've already got that covered. My OEM pulley was chromed when they chromed my wheels. Got the upper and lower guards in chrome too along with the swing arm and all covers. My bike is bathed in CHROME!

The issue they are having is with the OEM pulley rubbing on the guards. No news as to whether the billet one rubs or not. I prefer the look of the OEM pulley in chrome myself. Thanks for the tip though. Rest assured, my scoot is not lacking in the shinny silver stuff.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your bike must the one I saw on the Yahoo! group. I was looking close at your wheels and thought "Those gotta be chrome!" Looks good!

What I like about the billet chrome pulley is that it looks almost the same whether it's sitting still or driving down the highway. Either way, it looks like it's moving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts