V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local dealer said the tech's recommend waiting until the 5K service to change everything over to synthetic. What should I do, wait until 5K or tell them to go with synthetic at the 1K mile service???

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
PitBull said:
Local dealer said the tech's recommend waiting until the 5K service to change everything over to synthetic. What should I do, wait until 5K or tell them to go with synthetic at the 1K mile service???
There's no waiting period. Some bikes and cars come with syn oils from the factory.

T113

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
trooper113 said:
There's no waiting period. Some bikes and cars come with syn oils from the factory.
What he said. I believe the Screaming Eagle bikes from H-D come with synthetics. And they have no miles on them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go for synthetic. It doesn't lubricate any better (to start with), but it does withstand higher temperatures better and so retards molecular breakdown when things really get hot in the summer months.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
PitBull said:
Glad the guys didn't :flames: you. There's a bit of a pet peeve around the syn/dino question in the VTF. But looks like you received some good advice thus far. Enjoy!

·
Here We Go, Steelers
64 Posts
Giles said:
Go for synthetic. It doesn't lubricate any better (to start with), but it does withstand higher temperatures better and so retards molecular breakdown when things really get hot in the summer months.
He said retards. Ha ha. Ha ha.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Giles said:

Amen!

The only other piece of wisdom I would like to add regarding the question of one oil being more slippery than another is, BS...

It won't show up in any measurements of power!

The only independent documented increases in power due to changing from dino to synthetics is when you also go down to a lighter oil, 15/50 down to 5/30 etc.

:cheers:

·
Registered
293 Posts
at the 1K service IS the best time to change to synthetis.
I have done it, no problems.
JMHO, change to AMSOIL. There is no better synthetic oil products.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm changing to synthetic at 200 miles and using syn3 in engine & primary and redline shockproof heavy in the trans. I don't like the idea of a motor oil in the gearbox.:thumbsdn:

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
I would never leave anything in an engine for 5,000 miles. I went synthetic at 600 'cause it was getting dirty, and then I started pushing it. I have noticed that synthetic lubricants last longer, but get too dirty for my tastes before they actually wear out. 1500 miles max.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mike H. said:
I would never leave anything in an engine for 5,000 miles. I went synthetic at 600 'cause it was getting dirty, and then I started pushing it. I have noticed that synthetic lubricants last longer, but get too dirty for my tastes before they actually wear out. 1500 miles max.
Mike;
Oil is doing its job when getting :dirty". The additive package is cleaning the engine and thats what your paying for. Synthetics lubricate better because of the molucule structure that is 'designed' by the manufacurer. Same thing with additive package that cleans the engine and suspends particles for the filter to remove. Appearance is not always the best indicator for changing my friend.
"Just a note. I was a maintenance officer in the Army where we oil analysis on all diesel engines every 30 days. Many engines ran 2 or 3 years and still oil analysis said run the oil and don't change". I use synthetics on everything including a lawnmower. Car I run 1 year and change. The same thing with the Harley. Run it one year then change. The best practice is to stick with manufacture recommendations with the specific oil weights or viscosity ratings and you can't go wrong. Synthectics don't get thick in cold weather either. Try a bottle and put in the freezer at -10F and still pours like its 70F.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Red02FXST said:
Mike;
Oil is doing its job when getting :dirty". The additive package is cleaning the engine and thats what your paying for. Synthetics lubricate better because of the molucule structure that is 'designed' by the manufacurer. Same thing with additive package that cleans the engine and suspends particles for the filter to remove. Appearance is not always the best indicator for changing my friend.
"Just a note. I was a maintenance officer in the Army where we oil analysis on all diesel engines every 30 days. Many engines ran 2 or 3 years and still oil analysis said run the oil and don't change". I use synthetics on everything including a lawnmower. Car I run 1 year and change. The same thing with the Harley. Run it one year then change. The best practice is to stick with manufacture recommendations with the specific oil weights or viscosity ratings and you can't go wrong. Synthectics don't get thick in cold weather either. Try a bottle and put in the freezer at -10F and still pours like its 70F.
Excellent post Red!

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
That makes a lot of sense. I just get nervous about particles by-passing the oil filter and sand blasting the inside of my engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Synthetics changing

Ive been using syns for 30 yrs. The secret to satisfaction is the proper weights, and proper breakin. If your in doubt, WAIT! You can change to syns fron Dino oil at ANY TIME. There is no deadline. Run you dino until your sure its well broken in, and there are no leaks or usage problems. I would say 5000 mi, but I have gone 10,000 before. There is no hurry. Your bike should give you at least 50000 to 100000 miles between rebuilds. If everything is right, you can wait till 20000 if you like. First tank of syn I would change out at 3000 to be sure the dino is flushed. After that 5000 or every year is fine. I use the auto 15/50 standard mileage 5 qt Mobil 1 from WalMart and a good brand filt. Most all filters are the same, regardless of price. Cardboard paper element. Its the quality of the whole filt make up that makes the difference. If it leaks or cracks, or twists up when you remove it, its junk!
If your runnin an older motor, use the heavier 20/50. Good ridin......Beside the lubricant qualities, syn runs longer between changes because it keeps more dirt in suspension longer, which means it doesnt deposit sludge in your crankcase or where ever.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
I changed to synthetic at 100 miles. Have 10,900 miles on the bike now and I'm not burning any oil. Got the bike May 7, 2005.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts