V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first time on this forum. I'm a youngster but recently turned to HD. I'm in the process of building my first Harley, so will be looking for advice. Built many bikes for Honda/Suzuki for a few years. Looking fwd to the conversations. I just rode my first chopper last week as a matter of fact, a 1962 Panhead w/ 18" apes- rigid frame it was diffrent but I loved every second of it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome to the board, I have yet to ride a chopper, I truly think it would be a blast, but I am not sure how long it would be fun, especially a ridged. I really like the riding position of the DWG and V-Rod and can't see riding with out shocks.

What type of Harley are you considering? Might want to try renting different types to make sure you get the one you like. Since these are a bit of an investment you'll want to make sure you get one you can live with for a couple of years and many happy miles.

Best of luck and if you have any questions please ask because I am sure you’ll find a lot of good honest answer here.

Best of luck,

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm am leaning towards a 70' Rigid frame with a small rake and like an Evo with a 4-speed. I like the older bike look. Like 16" or 18" apes. The rigid is'nt that bad, that was my first one and I was expecting alot more intense than that. But I enjoyed it, it was suprisingly comfortable. I have some pics of the bike it's my boss'. I'll see about posting them. It's a 62' Panhead a really nice bike. I have'nt rode a V-Rod but I hear they move!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to see the pics of the '62 chop, I ride a stock '64 pan but am building an old school chopper with a '48 pan motor and '58 tranny I have. 10" over front end, rigid frame and apes. I don't know how to post a pic here, but this is a link to photos of my bikes:
http://www.ny1e.com/harley.htm
If your into building, you may want to find an older motor, something more interesting than an EVO. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike i'm taking alot from is a 62' Pan and has an 52' motor and 62' tranny, rigid frame and 18" apes. I have some pics on my email but I can't get the attachment to allow movement. The Evo motor is hassle free and i've found an enexpensive piston kit to put it at 100hp. I can email the pics if you want to see the bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think you made a good choice of a rigid chopper for your first Harley custom build. Less parts (no shocks, no electric start, no signals, etc).
Makes the wiring very simple, especially if you go with a single Mustang or Sportster style tank. If ya want some pics of my chopper, email me at
[email protected]............I've got some nice custom Pan pics too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts