V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would be a good place to organize our Vrod service experiences.

Today was a day I had anticipated for some time; my 1K service on the Vrod. Over all, the bike is terrific. No real mechanical issues other than some little teathing pains. I have several minor issues they are working on.

Replace all four *leaky* wheel bearings
Address belt guards rubbing on rear pulley
Check front steering for "knock
Install K&N air filter
Re-map ignition system.

The bad news: My service manager called and said they won't have her done by EOD
The good news: The owner gave me a brand new Buel X-1 Lightning to noodle around on until mine's done. What a fun little bike and It scoots pretty good too. Now I want to try the new Firebolt. God, will it ever stop?!

Rob

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Sure is nice of him to let you use his Buell scoot!

I must be living in the wrong state or something. Dealers around here wont give or let anything go for free.

Ride it till the wheel bearings dry up! And you know better than to ask, it will NEVER stop! ;)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
dprice said:
Sure is nice of him to let you use his Buell scoot!

I must be living in the wrong state or something. Dealers around here wont give or let anything go for free.
When I dropped my bike off at the dealer for service, I had about 25 minutes to be at an appointment that was 30 minutes away and I was in trouble. My ride back cancelled after I was already at the dealer. I asked the service manager if they could run me back and he said "nope". Next I asked my sales guy if they had a demo available. He kind of laughed and said something like "what are you nuts or something?" As I was walking out to find a BART station (subway) I bumped into the owner in the stairwell and asked him if he knew if anybody was running down to there other store? (Which is close to where I needed to be).

He says: "No problem, why don't you take my Heritage, or my Buel or…?”
:D

Decisions, decisions... You don't ask, (3 times!) you don't get!

Now I want a Buel. My dealer is a very smart business man.
:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good Idea on posting 1K service.

I just had mine done last Saturday. My dealer is 1 hour away. It was painless enough, it just took longer (3 hrs) than I expected. The car club I am in was meeting next door at Hooters, so the time passed quickly. All the guys had to walk over to the HD dealer and sit on the bikes, ask questions, etc.

I have had very little grease come out of the wheel bearings. I am talking a little black smudge on a paper towel after a long ride. I will keep an eye on them.

I did learn by observation a great way to check battery and charging system w/o getting to the battery. The tech measured it at the brake switch.

The dealer also has only one Vrod trained mechanic, who happened to be off during my scheduled visit. Since they have sold only two Vrods, one tech should be enough for now.

They did not find anything loose ( I had checked most at home). They did tighten the belt one click.

They gave me a free oil filter and $25 off the pillion , that they installed for free.

All in all not a bad experience.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1K done

Well, my service took a bit longer than 3 hours, but it sounds like I had a couple more issues than you did Jeff. Got the call the next day that she was all set. I rolled the Buell in that afternoon with an additional 50 mi. on the odometer. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the performance of the X-1. Like I said, now I have to try out the Firebolt. I have never really considered a Buell; I also have an Aprilia RSV Mille so I'm familiar with the type. I'm not ready to part with my Mille but what the heck; my girlfriend needs a new scoot.

D Price is right, there is no end to the addiction, nor should there be. A bike for every mood:D

Back to the Vrod service: $560.00 OUCH!

·Leaky wheel bearings - Replaced with upgraded *sealed* bearings.
·Addressed belt guards rubbing on rear pulley - Filed warranty claim with factory. No fix yet.
·Check front steering for "knock" - Fixed
·Installed K&N air filter - Done
·Re-map ignition system. - Done

No noticeable performance gains with the re-map and filter. Basically, the re-map de-California’s the system and enriches the fuel/air mixture. Cal bikes get leaned out by EPA regs; this should help when the Vance & Hines pipes show up - when ever that is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts