V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 1999 FXDX that was hit in the rear. It was my old riding buddies bike that has given up riding and it has been sitting for..get this..10 years. Ordinarily I wouldn't have accepted it, but it has a lot of nostalgic value to me. It has a PILE of engine/tranny/suspension upgrades and is well worth fixing it up. I dont want to spend a crazy amount of money on it, but would like to get it back on the road. Ive already put a rear fender on it, signals, brakes, battery, changed fluids and am still waiting on a gas tank. Heres my dilemma..

I thought I did my research in rear wheels. As far as I knew..2000's and newer have a different rear wheel. Sealed bearings, different hub and somewhere along the way it got a 1" axle. I found a clean wheel/tire combo on Ebay off of a 1998 Wide Glide for a great price. Figured I was golden. Got it today and it has sealed bearings, a 7/8 axle and the larger diameter boss where the pulley and rotor mount. Im not sure if someone changed it along the way, or just got sent the wrong one. I guess my question is..Would I be better off boring the centers out of my existing pulley and rotor? Or should I send this one back and search out the correct wheel. I have access to a machine shop. From what I understand, a newer pulley would work, but is narrower than my 1999 pulley. That means new belt, primary gaskets, oil..etc. Also..if I use the newer wheel, Im assuming that I need different spacers for the axle. Any help with that would also be appreciated. Thanks guys

1 - 3 of 3 Posts