V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys,
I need some advice. I've got a 99 evo in a Softail standard that's had "some" massaging done to it. I say "some" because I don't know exactly what. Supposedly it has 10.5/1 pistons and a bigger cam. What kind I have no idea. The guy I bought it from wasn't real sure. To make a long story short. I'm going to have to do a top end job on it this winter and I want more power. What's my best bet on cubes vs reliabilty? I'd like to get it up aroung 96" if possible. What's the best route?
Thanks in advance for your time and know how.
And by the way, most of our riding is one up backroads. Don't do much interstate cruising.
Thanks again

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Going to 96" requires boring out the cylinder holes to fit the larger cylinders. Al though it can and has been done for a long time the reliability isn't there compared to a TC. I would consider going to 88" with a stroker kit and for go the 96" cylinders. JMO This has always been my favorite build when STOCK cases are involved.

And while you're in there make sure the INA bearings were changed to Torrington.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The only way to go bigger on an EVO is to split the cases and put stroker flywheels in it And/OR bore the cases to 3 5/8. To go to 96" you have to do both.
Requires new jugs to go to 3 5/8 bore. Existing ones can not be bored.
Look at S&S sidewinder kits. Come with jugs, flywheels, pistons, heads, cams, all the parts to go big and bad.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
How much power are you looking for? 80 cu.in. is enough to get you between 90 and 100 HP and TQ with the right combination and you won't have to split the cases, and at the same time, be very reliable. Take a look at my dyno chart in that section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info so far. It doesn't have to be a stroker kit. If you guys know of different combinations let me hear them.
This is what I have now I think : 10.5/1 pistons , Larger cam ??? ,42mm Mikuni , amd I'm running a S&S breather with K&N filter. Santee straight pipes without baffles. I also have a V&H propipe but it looks and sounds like ass so it's out.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
In your initial post you mention "cubes vs relibility". The best way to get cubes is stroking it, IMO. The other way is to bore it out ... and I already told you what I think about that :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Springer,
Where are you in Maine? I've got a buddy that rides with me from there and we're planning a trip up there this summer to do some riding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And Roy,
I"m not looking for a drag bike but I'd like to be able to walk away from a twin cam 88". If you know what I mean.
I would have thought that I could at least keep up with a stock TC88 with the engine mods I have now but I can't. One of my riding buddies rides a stock fxstd with a TC88 and he walks away from me every time. It's not that big of a deal. It's just that I'm going to be tearing the motor down to do a top end job anyway so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but if you've got 10.5/1 pistons, it sure sounds like the rest of the build includes some mismatched parts, in other words, something in the total engine build is not working together with the rest of it.

First, I'd see exactly what you've got when you get the top end off. What about ignition?? Those straight pipes probably aren't helping your low end.

Mikuni's are known to be jetted rich straight out of the box. That's a possibility for sluggish WOT.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Wareagle #1 said:
And Roy,
I"m not looking for a drag bike but I'd like to be able to walk away from a twin cam 88". If you know what I mean.
I would have thought that I could at least keep up with a stock TC88 with the engine mods I have now but I can't. One of my riding buddies rides a stock fxstd with a TC88 and he walks away from me every time. It's not that big of a deal. It's just that I'm going to be tearing the motor down to do a top end job anyway so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone.

I wouldn't exactly call an Ultra-Classic that pulls a trailer around the country a drag bike. Anyway, if you can't walk away from a stock TC with that kind of compression and a half way reasonable cam, you've got tuning problems, or mismatched parts, maybe worn out, possibly a combination of a couple. Also, drag pipes will KILL an 80" EVO especially if they're larger than stock head pipes.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Roy,

We both must have been typing at the same time with the same thoughts in mind. Weird, huh, especially considering my last name is Young too.:)

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Ed Y said:
Roy,

We both must have been typing at the same time with the same thoughts in mind. Weird, huh, especially considering my last name is Young too.:)
Ed I actually read your post before I posted and was going to refer to it, but I got lazy after I started typing and didn't want to go back to see what your name was and start over. I have an uncle that goes by Ed.:wacko:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Another issue is the final drive ratio of your Softail. A "99 has a 2.92 final drive ratio compared to 3.15 or 3.37 of all TC88s. That gives them a major advantage in the walk away from you factor in a roll on competition.
The drag pipes kill all low end on an EVO.
If you want a good reliable softail, change to 9.5:1 compression, put in an EV27 cam and get some head work done for better flow and get a good 2-1 performance pipe. Change the rear sprocket to a 70 tooth and you will be able to stay with a mild cam Stage 2 TC88.
Matching parts helps the most.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feed back so far. I think for now I'm going to tear down the top end and see what all I have in there. Then go from there.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It was said before, and I'll back it up that you should be capable of 90+ HP and torque with what you've got, depending on the cam. Get rid of those pipes, though. The propipe looks and sounds like ass and it works.

Be careful on cam selection if you stick with 10.5:1 pistons. That's too much compression for some cams. I run a Wood W6H with 10:1 wisecos, but had the chambers cc'ed to give 9.75:1. With 10.5:1 I'm fairly sure I'd need compression releases and may or may not be able to run pump gas. Very early closing intake valve causes high cylinder pressure.

If you're doing a top end your options are wide open. With the higher drive ratio of the softail you might consider a torquier cam. I do enjoy the Wood W6H but it starts to level off above 5K. But man does that sucker pull from 3K to 5K. And it still pulls stronger than most above 5.5K. You need to fully investigate all that is involved in a .590 lift cam before you wade in. There are plenty of good bolt-in cams that will work well for you, too. I have no problems with most 95" TC. But a well built 95 will obviously whoop me silly. It's just that many 95" TCs have very little other than the big bore kit.

Chilly

·
Registered
487 Posts
at 10.5 a good cam to run is ev59 change the overall gear ratio a little and let the tc try and keep up

·
Registered
26 Posts
98 FatBoy

If you want a good reliable softail, change to 9.5:1 compression, put in an EV27 cam and get some head work done for better flow and get a good 2-1 performance pipe. Change the rear sprocket to a 70 tooth and you will be able to stay with a mild cam Stage 2 TC88.

I've got the above mentioned mods done to my Fatboy, except I'm running V&H big shot longs. I pulled 80.4 hp on the dyno, and have no problem pulling my buddy on his 02 softail standard w/stage 1 upgrade.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Exactly what do you guys mean by "propipe looks and sounds like ass".Folks are tellling me to go with the propipe on my evo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts