V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Ultra 1998 this summer. It worked really well. Started and ran good. Never spits or pops. I really trusted this bike. But I wanted some more power.
When I asked the local dealer what to do with the breather, he told me about the stage 1 map. So they mounted an open breather, and the stage 1 map. I already have open mufflers. But I only got problems. The engine won´t idle, won´t start without trottle, spits and pops...
When the workshop put in the new map they experienced many problems. They then put in a new "brain", new sensors, new intake manifold gasket....
It now starts ok, but when warm, it spits and pops again. After a few days unused it wont start without give trottle.
I´m not content at all.
Enough. I want the original map back. I have the old, original breather parts.
How can I get the original map back in place?:badmood:

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Don't know how all this stuff works but I have a 98 Road King and did the same stuff, rode it for two years then added the stage 1. Thankfully I am not having the problems you describe. Mine idols a bit slower, runs with plenty of power and fuel economy increased to about 50 mpg. I would think the dealer messed up the mapping somewhere. I'm sure someone here will have an answer or can guide you to the correction.
Good luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
413 Posts
If the dealer actually replaced your original ECM and “sensors”, there may be no turning back to where you were despite returning the rest of your hardware back to original. My main reasoning for this is if the dealer replaced or repositioned your throttle position sensor; this would have the greatest affect on air/fuel ratios at no and off-throttle positions, exactly where you’re having the greatest difficulty. Dealership service personnel are notoriously under educated regarding EFI and electrical problems in general. The HD service manual describes the procedure for calibrating your throttle position sensor. If you were inclined to check the dealer’s work, you could take a stab at this yourself to ensure that the job got done right. I’m sure you’re looking for the dealership to resolve all this, but it’s likely they’ll never get things to your satisfaction. Before they have you throwing more money at the problem, I’d suggest you contact a reputable EFI tuning center in your area. More than likely the pros will need to install an aftermarket device that allows them to custom tune your EFI, like a ‘Power Commander’ or ‘Screaming Eagle Race Tuner’, but it should be money better spent in the long run.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Another thought came to me; I know this one from first hand experience. Sometimes the installation of those stage one air cleaner assemblies can disrupt the intake manifold seals such that they leak. Your dealer should be able to diagnose this type of problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

Thank you very much for your answers.
I have today talked to the workshop and discussed with them.
I want to replace the original breather, and the original software, and they said they could do this.
Then they probably can find out if the engine runs like it should.
With only factory and original parts (software) it has to be like new,
doesn´t it?

If there are some more good people out there who has someting to say, please do. :wavey:

·
Banned
48 Posts
The dealer has a tool called a Digital Technician. The original map for your bike - the one from the factory - is on that tool. It is provided to the dealers to install in customers bikes at no charge. The MoCo doesn't charge dealers when they re-flash a bike with a production cal. The only exception to this rule are some of the CVO O/E cals - the dealers are initially charged, then re-imbursed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts