V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic 95th Anniversary
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the Harley-Davidson dealership service departments still run diagnostics on the older models?
I have purchased a 22 year old Electra Glide Ultra Classic and really love it. It runs good but I want to take it to a dealer and have them fine tune it.

Regards,
Wes

·
Super Moderator
20,850 Posts
Depends on the dealer, but most do not. For the vast majority, if they can't get the parts from Harley, they don't work on the scooter.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That presents me with a problem. My bike runs okay but I want to be sure that I keep it up to snuff. I do not want to be lied to by a service department and am definitely not in the market to purchase a brand new model, which is the big goal of the dealership. I am 70 years old and not able or equipt to diagnose or tune an EFI. Or do a brake job, for that matter.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Denver, Colorado area (Front Range). Would go as far south as Colorado Springs and north to Fort Collins.

Regards,
Wes

·
not sober all the time
5,828 Posts
Hopefully some of our members up there can suggest a shop for you. If not, I'd try another thread with a topic of "Indy shop in Denver area" or something similar.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
some of the indy shops, with actual mechanics have the diagnostic tools to check and diagnose the early bikes.... that said the bike has the M&M efi system,, they are very limited in the ability to tune them.... my opinion would be, with this system,, if it start, runs, idles amd performs OK, with mileage above 40mpg under normal circumstances,, leave it alone do the services on time and ride it...

even adjusting the idle,,, properly, with a scanner,, is a PITA.. leave it as it is,, thr only things that normally go wrong,, are the IAC, CHT, TPS, stepper motor or worn throttle shaft...

if it has over 25k miles change the fuel filter,,, carefully.

the sensor parameters can be read with a VOM,, but it is not as accurate as a scanner... on these ald models,, i would verify the scanner readings with the VOM rradings wcomparing the readings to the specs in the service manual.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You have just voiced quite a few of my concerns and fears. The "actual mechanics" part is the role that will be hard to find.
I have started searching the 'net for an independent shop and will visit prospective mechanics to attempt to determine the scope of their understanding and abilities.
Thank you, gentlemen, for all of the sage advice. I assure you it has not fallen on deaf ears.

Regards,
Wes

p.s.: by the way, it took me a while to decipher the meaning of "indy" shop. But it was fun.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
You’re lucky to be where you are. Plenty of shops to choose from around you. Used to be a place in Lyons, Red Hill I think, but last time I was there it was a distillery. It may be worth a ride up 287, between Berthoud and Loveland there’s a used parts yard called Hawg Wild. I don’t think he works on bikes but imagine he knows about everyone in the area that does. He may be able to help. It’s worth a ride just.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
You’re lucky to be where you are. Plenty of shops to choose from around you. Used to be a place Lyons but last time I was there it was a distillery. It may be worth a ride up 287, between Berthoud and Loveland there’s a used parts yard called Hawg Wild. I don’t think he works on bikes but imagine he knows about everyone in the area that does. He may be able to help. It’s worth a ride.
Edit - he’s not far from The Derby, stop there for lunch. But you probably already knew that.

·
Registered
895 Posts
yes find an indy that takes pride in his work....dealership will not deal with it and that would be a mistake anyway, run it and change fluids etc yourself, with efi i would wait for a problem to arise then you need service...use an occasional fuel cleaner

·
Registered
4 Posts
That presents me with a problem. My bike runs okay but I want to be sure that I keep it up to snuff. I do not want to be lied to by a service department and am definitely not in the market to purchase a brand new model, which is the big goal of the dealership. I am 70 years old and not able or equipt to diagnose or tune an EFI. Or do a brake job, for that matter.
Use Bryan @ Hawgs 314 S 25th C/S 80904 treats everyone fair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts