V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Fat Boy and was thinking about buying a S&S V111 for it. Has anyone else put a S&S V111 in a EVO Harley? Do I need to use a wide belt drive between the engine and trans? Besides exhaust what other kinds of modifications would I have to do?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I put a 111 in an FXR several years ago and it is a great swap. It is smooth and does not have the internal noises that really don't hurt anything but make you think something's wrong. Gas mileage isn't too bad, either.

I found the 585 cam to be "cammy" in that the power came on suddenly about 3000 RPM. Not bad, but I want it to come in sooner and not have it as a toggle, either on or off. Went to a T-Man 590 cam and it was strong all around. Stock compression is nominally about 9.8 and the 590 cam likes at least 10.5, so some power was left on the table there.

No real changes to the bike, other than I had problems with the electric compression releases and changed to manual. IIRC, the 111 is slightly shorter than the stock Evo engine. I know there were no fit issues at all.

The 111 is -nice-. It has ribs cast into the cylinders to cut down on noise, and has oil squirters on the bottoms of the pistons like Twinkies. The connecting rods are TC length, for better rod angularity and less side thrust on the pistons against the cylinder walls. Very good tractable street engine. If you get bored, a good cam, raised compression, and some headwork will put you up around 130 HP, so it is a good starting point for a strong build.

I kept the primary stock, no reason to change. As for a pipe, I think 2" primary pipes is too big for this engine, at least for a stock street build, so stick with 1 3/4. I like the performance of 2->1 pipes, so Supertrapp, D&D, and if you can find a good White E-Pipe, any of these will give you something you will be happy with.

Just put a good pipe on it and stay away from drag pipes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 111 in my '95 bagger and love it. I did have to upgrade the clutch though. I took out the double steel clutch plate and put 2 steels and another fiber plate in it's place. Also put a 25% stronger pressure plate in. The stock clutch held for a while but got to slipping if you opened it up and got past 3000 rpm. I have 10,000 miles on it now ant all seems good! I'm using a 1 1/2 inch drive belt and it's ok, I don't do burn outs or power shift it, I'm an old man!!! BTW Stock plates will work to upgrade your clutch, no need to buy a whole new set unless yours are bad. Mine have 115,000 miles on them and i measured them and they are still ok and not slipping, the extra ones I put in were used also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts