V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Heyall, I just bought a 97 fxdwg that had been sitting for 3 years. Po son said they took it to a shop and got it running 6mo ago then 3mo ago his dad died. I bought the bike for 5k.
Put a new battery changed the fluids, definitely cloudy due to moisture but clean, and started right up. Oil light on. I changed the pressure switch stated it again. Oil light still on after running a few minutes. Removed the oil filter and it was dry (I filled it 1/2 way when I put it on. Tell me I didn’t toast the motor! I ordered the socket to check the tappet screen and was also wondering if I can pull the check valve ball in the pump from that screw on the top of the pump? Any help would be appreciated. Spent all my cash on the bike cause the M8 just wasn’t for me.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Put a service gauge in the oil light switch hole, after removing the switch, and then start the engine and verify pressure. If there is no pressure, remove the outermost oil line at the pump to verify oil flows to the pump from the oil tank. If no flow, clear or replace the line,, a service manual will be helpful,,, section 3,, in the first 8-10 pages.

Get a service manual, and follow the flow chart to diagnose the issue

If it shows no pressure, check the feed line, make sure it is not obstructed..beyond that,, you may need to remove the cam cover, and check for a sheared shaft key,,, there are a total of 3 on the oil pump drive shaft, 2 in the pump, 1 in the gearcase (cam cover), there are 2 small snap rings that are difficult to remove, that must he removed for access to the keys.u

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Terry I really appreciate the help. Hopefully I’m going to get into this
Tonight and I’ll let you know what I find. I’m in this bike for the long run so if there is something I don’t know I guess there’s only one way to learn it.

·
Super Moderator
21,606 Posts
Do as Terry says, and put a gauge on it so that you can see what's really happening. The dry filter doesn't seem right, you might want to check the house routings first. Or you may have found the reason the scooter got parked.

And if it is in fact lacking in pressure, there are a couple of things you can check before you tear it down. Check the pressure relief piston, they can stick when a scooter has been sitting. The check the tappet screen. These days people have forgotten they are there.

Next you would be removing the cover, to see if the gears are turning. They will sometimes cut the drive key in the cam chest. And if the cam bearing failed, the rollers will get sucked into the pump, chewing it up and sheering the key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Thermodyne, I was thinking about the lines last night as I couldn’t sleep. Also can I pull the relief valve and the check valve and clean and inspect from the removing the drag links without getting into the pump?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Thermodyne, I was thinking about the lines last night as I couldn’t sleep. I’m picking up a drag link socket at Napa, I was thinking to clean the tappet screen. I was wondering if I can remove the drag links on the check valve and the relief valve and clean and inspect those from the top without dismantling the pump?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts