V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a squeek that is intermittant but almost always there and is related to engine vibration. I sprayed top motor mount stabilizer with a lube and the squeek diminished but eventually came back. I removed the stabilizer and noticed the rubber had released from the outer shell which let it rotate like a heim joint. I lubed it well and reinstalled, noise is noticably less but still there so I'm pretty sure it's the cause. They didn't have one in stock at local dealer for comparison so I'm not positive I need to spend the $40 yet.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Also, any online parts stores you can recommend?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the stabilizer has been on the bike since new I would spend the 40 and change it anyway. It's been takin' the shakin' for 11 years now, right?
other than that, I really don't have the answer to your squeak question but I just wanted to say, it's nice to see a question that doesn't have the word bob or street in it anywhere.

I ride a 93 FXDL so I know what it's like to try and find parts for an older Dyna. Most of the part numbers I go to the dealer with are obsolete. Makes it kind iof a pain. You are in a better position than me due to the changes made in '95. I find Dennis Kirk to be a good retailer for most things. If you're looking for cams etc I havn't seeen a better price that here http://www.cyborgcycles.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the sources, I'll try them out.
Since the rubber is starting to come apart, you're probably right, I should just go ahead and change it. Even if it doesn't eliminate the squeek it could cause another problem.
Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted about a squeak, relative to engine vibration or motion. It took a while to find as I had two sources of squeaks. Thought I'd post the results so it might help someone else.
First one was the top motor mount stabilizer. The rubber had started to let go and the metal part was rubbing against the bracket. A shot of lube would quiet it down for awhile but a squeak was still there and this one would slowly come back. Replaced the stabilizer and still had the squeak after engine warmed up. Tried a stethescope again and still couldn't find it, squeak seemed to be comng from everywhere. Finally took a thin piece of wood, and with engine running and me on floor, I pushed on a lot of different places like covers, exhaust and heat shields. Found a breeze clamp (hose clamp) holding a heat shield on the exhaust cross-over pipe was bound up due to cross-threading. It was tight and wouldn't turn any tighter due to the binding but, wasn't clamped on the exhaust pipe crossover so it could move enough to squeak.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts