V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe the sport bars are same as Sportster / 91 Sturgis except with the air port.
I had a 92 Low Rider Sport back in 92 and I do miss it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Rebuilt front forks yesterday, tightened up the neck bearings a smidge & installed the new grips. I also greased the neck....holy smokes that took a lot of grease. I work on cars for a living & you never see grease fittings anymore. I wish the bike had more. With the original bars on i pumped up the air fork system & by god it works. Im 6 foot 220 & just cruising down the driveway at 15-20 mph these forks seem to compress a good bit when front brake is applied. Ive got ATF in it now, I'll have to experiment with fork oil weight when i get the tires on & get some real road time. Im in ohio so thats not likely for a while anyways. Being a "bigger fella" i may need to upgrade springs. How do the PCV pipes shims work? Any one tried that?

Still waiting on the clutch & throttle cables, then need tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I know asking about tire brand is like asking "whats the best oil for my harley"......but i have a 2012 dyna that had a worn rear dunlop & some chinko front, i replaced them with Metzler cruistec's and think they are great. I have only 1500 miles on them so dont know about wear yet but handling is very much improved.

I see a lot of chatter about 880 & 888 but anyone here ran the cruisetecs or lasertecs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know asking about tire brand is like asking "whats the best oil for my harley"......but i have a 2012 dyna that had a worn rear dunlop & some chinko front, i replaced them with Metzler cruistec's and think they are great. I have only 1500 miles on them so dont know about wear yet but handling is very much improved.

I see a lot of chatter about 880 & 888 but anyone here ran the cruisetecs or lasertecs?
I ran Dunlops for years, but am really liking the Michelin commander tires now. JMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got rid of the hoopy way too long braided clutch cable someone had on this bike to fit their buckhorns, i have installed the OE style clutch cable and routed it too my liking. Boy does it feel better....that braided one was stiff! I also put the factory SP bars back on & got new throttle cables from FXR division. The manual shows the throttle cables staying on the inside of the bars, then going down through a loop that is held by the front gas tank bolt, then under the tank through the tang.

I have seen quite a few pics of SP's that had the throttle cables ran under the bars, out front to the right of the headlight, down through the fork then back through a loop that is bolted further down on the neck. The factory way seems to work fine but any reason for the change? Which is right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oh snap...the picture in the manual says FXR but its a model with longer, taller bars, not the SP. If i look at the pic of the whole bike in the front of the manual i see that they are ran out front. Interesting. Whoops, guess i will re route them.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts