V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 Springer - starter "chatters" as if battery is weak - installed NEW battery, starter assy, relay, battery cables, voltage reg, stator, breaker and switch - all connections solid, no corrosion. No trouble spinning engine with spark plugs removed. Jackshaft engages fully, but chatters 5-6 seconds, then finally spins the engine with ease. Battery voltage 12.8 - Any ideas where my trouble may be?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you search on starter related problems on this forum, you'll undoubtedly run across my earlier posts. But just in case you can't locate it, I'll try to summerize.

I spent a bunch of money and a year looking for a similar problem in my '87 Electra Glide. It turned out to be a bad starter solenoid that was installed to replace another bad one. The maintenance manual has a good test procedure, check yours out. If you replace it with a new one, get a genuine Harley part ........ and check it also before you install it.

I don't know about the '92, but more than likely the solenoids are similar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the '87 soleniod has two coils in it. The small terminal connects to one end of both of them. The other end of the "Hold-in" coil is cinnected to the case (ground). The other end of the other coil, the "Pull-in" coil, is connected to the short fat terminal (the one that goes to the starter). The other fat terminal (long) connects to the battery. If the hold in coil is open, it will stutter and stammer and may start when it get s good an ready...... sounds kind of what you're experiencing. I hope this will help, Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a similar problem on my 88 -1200,
Connecting the starter power cable "first off" the positive battery post solved the problem, The scoot came with the terminals reversed. the result was not enuf contact for the surge current. I replaced the battery, rebuilt the starter motor and changed the starter relay before I figured it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts