V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going, so I bought this bike back in December with 45,000 miles on it I was able to get a few thousand miles in this season before I starting getting a rattling noise. Checked the push rod tubes with a stethoscope and narrowed down the noise to the rear exhaust push rod, just took the cover off and the push rod is loose and has about 1/32 of movement up and down. They are adjustable push rods so should I just make that pushrod tight again and try and get through the rest of the season before I tear it down this winter, or do I take the top end apart and check tge rocker arms? Or take the cam chest off and check the tappets?

·
Registered
00 SPCNS FXR S&S 124
11 Posts
The same thing happened to me with a twin cam with adjustable pushrods. Knowing I should have removed and inspected the lifter and cam lobe I readjusted the push rod and kept riding. No problem so far thousand plus miles later.
Hopefully, yours just came loose and or wasn't adjusted properly previously. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
if the lock nut on the pushrod is tight,, take the rocker box and cam cover off,,, inspect the rocker arm and shaft, valve spring and retainer, and the roller in the lifter. check the cam lobe for frosting and wear...
if its lock nut is loose, readjust it..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the lock nut on the pushrod is tight,, take the rocker box and cam cover off,,, inspect the rocker arm and shaft, valve spring and retainer, and the roller in the lifter. check the cam lobe for frosting and wear...
if its lock nut is loose, readjust it..
Yes the pushrod lock nut was loose, thank you! Now I have another question, do I loosen the intake valve pushrod and readjust both for the rear cylinder. Or do I leave the intake one alone and get to tdc and just readjust the exhaust valve pushrod that was loose originally?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts