V-Twin Forum banner

1992 FXRP-W Electrical Issue ?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Picazzo 
#1 ·
Guys......Have a 1992 FXRP-W and its been runnig great with no issues until last week......Long story short.....I went for a short ride and the bike after about 15 mins quietly shutoff....no compression loss or anything clankin......waited a couple mins and fired it up and it cut off again as I rolled in the drive way. I started with electrical because it sounded like it lost fire. HD battery (on a tender all the time) reads charged at 12.8v cold. Changed starter relay out and bike starts and died again this time after 5 min.......Opened S&S Carb and cleaned it and the K&N filter. Also checked jets in carb and they pushing fuel with no prob...good pressure....When I get home today Im going to fire it up and put the meter on the battery...should get 13-14.5v right ?.......Also going to check voltage regulator and disconnect that to test the stator volt readings......bike still has original harness (nightmare)....it also has original 30amp and 15 amp circuit breakers....they look old as u know what....Im trying to figure if its a short or if something else is causing it.....any ideas before I start ripping it apart ? If it fires up runs smooth then shuts off....I just need to figure if its elec or fuel related....

#4 ·
You can decode any Harley VIN at this website....

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder.asp

Good question........from my research I believe that W stands for "with fairing/shield"....

FXRP w/Fairing - Super Glide Police
FXRP w/Windshield - Super Glide Police

or it could be a geographic location.... possible since they were only made for Municipal and State/Federal Police.....

But I could be wrong......like my wife says that I am most of the time ...LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.