V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I'm new to initiating discussion on these forums, so I'm throwing this issue up on a few different places. Apologies if you run across it more than once.

1992 FLHTU - the voltage meter reads 11 volts at the fairing after having read 14 earlier in the day. The stator and voltage regulator have been replaced by parts from the nearby HD dealer and the battery is good. The stator is putting out 40 volts ac at the plug. The meter still reads 11 volts.

I got this bike from my grandpa last fall and he had put the battery in backward, frying the first voltage regulator, which I then replaced with a cheap one. Not sure if that reverse polarity could have cause some other lasting effects that are just more apparent now.

Again, the stator and voltage regulator that are on the bike now are brand new from the HD dealer.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
the faring meter is tired...same on mine..shows less...and i check it at the batt regularly and all good...i washed the bike and the meter went to full good charge...still tryin to figure that out...i hard soldered the plug pins at the stator cause they fried and have not had a problem sinse...like before constant charge problems....saved me from replacing the stator for now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the faring meter is tired...same on mine..shows less...and i check it at the batt regularly and all good...i washed the bike and the meter went to full good charge...still tryin to figure that out...i hard soldered the plug pins at the stator cause they fried and have not had a problem sinse...like before constant charge problems....saved me from replacing the stator for now
Hey GB, thanks for the response! I was hoping that'd be the case, but it seems that there really is a charging problem. The batter reads 12.46 VDC when the bike is off and 12.15 when it's running.

·
Super Moderator
20,553 Posts
Run the charging system diagnostic ladder as directed. Or have an experienced tech do it for you. At 12.15 running, its not charging.

Stater output is not measured in amps. Its volts AC.
Past that there has to be a good ground at the regulator, and a good DC output circuit back to the battery positive post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Run the charging system diagnostic ladder as directed. Or have an experienced tech do it for you. At 12.15 running, its not charging.

Stater output is not measured in amps. Its volts AC.
Past that there has to be a good ground at the regulator, and a good DC output circuit back to the battery positive post.

when i got my dyna it did the same thing, except more basic. the nunbers were low by a didgit. I say swap the battery if you havnt yet.

·
Registered
816 Posts
check /replace your rotten ground cable.to primary..you prob have an old ribbon type....i did and saved a lot of mental anguish...and mis diags...auto parts store has em

1 - 7 of 7 Posts