V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1991 fxstc
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to buy a shop manual. My bike was sold new from the dealership as a 1991. When I ran the vin number the mfg.date was mid 1990. Which manual would be the one to buy? The 1985-90 or the 1991-92? I think there are a few differences between the 90 and the 91 aren’t there?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I am sure my bike is a 1991 model, than the 1991 service manual is the correct one to buy.

Reactions: ChatNoir

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
.... I think there are a few differences between the 90 and the 91 isn’t they’re?
Give a list of 3 things you think are different. Don't have to be certain. Just what you have heard or think you have heard.

·
Registered
1991 fxstc
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give a list of 3 things you think are different. Don't have to be certain. Just what you have heard or think you have heard.
According to the Clymer book 90 air filter is different from 91(which is on my bike). The cv carb i have looks like a 1992 version. My headlight is small and no passing lights.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You do not want the `85-`90 manual, you need a service manual for the `91 model year.

The model year of the bike is not always the same as the year it was built.

·
Registered
1991 fxstc
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dan. I think you are correct. The previous owner thought it was a 91 and he bought it new. I have a Norton Comando that looks like a 72 and was sold as such yet the serial number is mfg date of a 1971.

·
Premium Member
1947 FL 1972 XLCH 1989 FLST
44 Posts
What I believe to be the case, the transmission mainshaft is tapered up to "89" then the shaft became a spline attachment, this allowed the clutch basket to sit in the same place/alignment regardless of whatever M/C it is placed on. The fact that the serial numbers indicate late in the model year would make me inclined to think the factory probably used all the tapered shafts available by the time yours was assembled

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
Don't take this post as law.
However, if it was manufactured say in August there's a good chance it is the next model year.I believe HD typically changes over in July for the next model year.

·
Registered
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
What I believe to be the case, the transmission mainshaft is tapered up to "89" then the shaft became a spline attachment, this allowed the clutch basket to sit in the same place/alignment regardless of whatever M/C it is placed on. The fact that the serial numbers indicate late in the model year would make me inclined to think the factory probably used all the tapered shafts available by the time yours was assembled
The factory stopped using tapered mainshafts at the end of production for the `89 models.

NO tapered shafts were put in transmissions after that.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
Yep. Just so long as you don't take your ball and go home if you get hit in the eye.
If I get hit in the eye, it wont be my balls you're worried about.

Past that, new for 91. Main drive gear (5th), Main shaft. There was a new spark box, and a new tie bracket on the heads. There was also a new air filter. And there was a new spacer under the comp. 91 was mostly fixing the drive gear issue in the trans, and appeasing the the EPA/Carb folks. And a little prep work for the new motor slated for 92. Turns out the motor was delayed till 93, but we got the heads and rocker boxes in 92

·
Registered
1991 fxstc
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been raining every day. Finally got the clearcoat on the new tanks..mine is L

1 - 20 of 25 Posts