V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed the new manifold and CV carb on my 1989 Heritage Softail. I have received the wrong cables from a local bike shop 2 times now. First time the reveal was the same as the old butterfly cables and they are too short for the CV installation. 2nd time they ordered me 30” cables and seem to think it isn’t possible to find cables that will work. I find that hard to believe. Has anyone completed this upgrade on this bike? What cables will work? Can I just order cables for say, a 1990 Heritage? They came with the CV carb stock I think? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m getting impatient and want to get this on the road! Need around 36” length with the correct reveal to fit the carb.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
get cables for like a 93 model,,, the free cable length is much too short for butterfly cables to be used on a CV carb...

when you went newer,, almost everything needs to change,, the switch housing needs to be the newer model also,,, the cv cables do not thread in. they have a retaining ring

the guy you are dealing with knows very little about harleys..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get cables for like a 93 model,,, the free cable length is much too short for butterfly cables to be used on a CV carb...

when you went newer,, almost everything needs to change,, the switch housing needs to be the newer model also,,, the cv cables do not thread in. they have a retaining ring

Ok so, as soon as they switched to CV, they switched the housing as well? There are no years in which it was a CV carb with the screw in type housing? If that’s the case, I’ll have to look for the new housing as you suggested.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
244 Posts
Thats not true .They did change to the lock ring end but not until 1996. There are cv cables that will work. JP Cycles catalog has a section about cables and free lenghts and such, page 806 in my catolog. Barnett makes quality cable and can custom make them. If you have stock bars get cables off a 92,93 or 94. Jp catalog even list the lengths

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats not true .They did change to the lock ring end but not until 1996. There are cv cables that will work. JP Cycles catalog has a section about cables and free lenghts and such, page 806 in my catolog. Barnett makes quality cable and can custom make them. If you have stock bars get cables off a 92,93 or 94. Jp catalog even list the lengths
That’s what I was hoping. I saw some cables that were specific to 90-95 softails so, that’s makes sense. I have stock bars and they say stock length is 32” so, I guess I give that a shot. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thats not true .They did change to the lock ring end but not until 1996. There are cv cables that will work. JP Cycles catalog has a section about cables and free lengths and such, page 806 in my catolog. Barnett makes quality cable and can custom make them. If you have stock bars get cables off a 92,93 or 94. Jp catalog even list the lengths
That's what I'm running on a 1978 Shovelhead with a cv carb. Kept the stock controls. The Idle cable is a tight fit. There is a small hole on the throttle housing. in the hole is a really small Allen screw. it serves as a throttle stop. I had to loosen it to get enough play to get the cables on. Make sure you readjust it, if you just let the cable pull the carb open until it stops, you will strain the cable end on the opening cable, It will fray, then you will be glad they started using two cables! Barnett will make you custom cables, if nothing stock fits with your bar/riser combination. They were a big help to me putting a Mikuni on an '86 Evo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts