V-Twin Forum banner

1987 vs. 2000

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mdglide 
#1 ·
Finally got my 1987 FLHTC inspected and road worthy to my liking this weekend. First impressions are the 87 seems more nimble in the turns and slow speed handling than the 2000. The power is not the same , but is to be expected on the 87 but all in all a easy handling and smooth bike for an 87.
I originally bought it on a whim to resell this summer but once I got it in the stable I just could not do it.
Bought it off e-bay from a guy in VA. who did not ride it much as it only was showing 29,000 on the odometer. He had a remanded motor from HD installed at approx 27,000 miles so motor is like new. The basics were replaced ( brake pads, wheel bearings f/b , new tires , stator kit , etc.) as the bike did a lot of sitting around.
Put the tour pak and lowers off my 2000 on it ( not without major modifications ) as rear frame width is different the match up straight up is impossible, and this will be the touring over long distance and 2 up with luggage rider and the 2000 is my play around day runner.
Last thing to do is change the paint scheme ( its purple and grey metalflake) to black metalflake on black. All in all a very nice rider with all I wanted in a glide of this year and for a very resonable price.

Ken

See less See more
#4 ·
Odd that you would feel the '87 handles better at low speed,I had an '89 before my '00 and didn't notice any difference in handling other than the '00 having better brakes and more power.
Makes me wonder if your 2000 maybe needs some adjustment on the steering head or swingarm bushings or something.

#5 ·
I gotta agree with Mdglide. I have an 89 FLHS made to look like a Road King and a 2000 Road King. The 89 feels more nimble, like a smaller bike. The 2000 feels more stable on the highway to me. I really like the Evo dressers but they are a little down on power after riding Twin Cam bike.

Later, Murf

#6 ·
Murf2 said:
I gotta agree with Mdglide. I have an 89 FLHS made to look like a Road King and a 2000 Road King. The 89 feels more nimble, like a smaller bike. The 2000 feels more stable on the highway to me. I really like the Evo dressers but they are a little down on power after riding Twin Cam bike.

Later, Murf

Must be the weight difference,the TC engines are heavier.

I guess I didn't notice it as much because I went from an '89 Ultra with all the bells and whistles on it to an '00 Classic with much with less stuff on it so the weight difference wasn't much.

#7 ·
87-00

Havent had the 87 out on the interstate , that will be this weekend. The 00 is very stable out on the interstate and hoping the 87 will fall into place also on that test. The 87 is a slight bit lower than the 00 so that might be it as I am not the tallest guy.
The handling on the 00 was a bit different till I took the TP off. It handles better with it off than on and since the OL doesnt ride it much I took it off and its been laying around till the 87 came along.
2 differnet beasts that I am sure will both have their own attitudes and I guess I really cant expect both to ride the same.
Also the 87 looks longer than the 00 but that could just be my eye fooling me. Seems a little more air space between the rear cylinder and the frame, maybe just the smaller engine.
The real test is when the OL gets on the back. She has not been too keen on this one as it makes 4 for me owning but hope she takes a shine to it , if not it will be called "Sherry's pain 4" as the rest are called that in decending #'s instead of something else.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.