V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used this and followed it to a tee. Checked and double checked to make sure I did it like it shows. Front cylinder started leaking after about 20 minutes. Do I need to do anything different or what do I need to do to avoid this from happening again. I appreciate any help on this. Thank You
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Illustration

·
FOAD
421 Posts
Well if surfaces were clean and reasonably flat and torque sequence followed with an at least half decent torque wrench then it is a genuine possibility that a stud has pulled loose.
Only way to be certain is to check the torque on all the head bolts and see if one can't be torqued anymore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm re-doing the front would you say do the back head as well. No leak there, yet

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I would fix what is not working.
Three things... incorrect assembly {grommet on the gasket in the way}, stretched stud or pulled threads. Is the fastener easily wrenched on?

·
FOAD
421 Posts
If I'm re-doing the front would you say do the back head as well. No leak there, yet
See what is wrong first on the front before making any plans but I have found with the older cases that once one stud has pulled that the rest are not far behind and they all need to be fixed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of the bolts went on by hand and all the way down fairly easy. The grommet wasn't in the way, I checked that,

·
FOAD
421 Posts
You need to put some torque on the bolts to see if the stud threaded into the case has come loose.
Never going to feel it by hand unless it is really buggered and then they usually come out when taking the head bolt off.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Torqued it to 35 ft. lbs, stud did not move.

Did you have the gasket surfaces on the cylinders machined for flatness, same with the heads?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
How much oil/lube did you put on the stud/ nut treads? Sometimes some oil can leak out for a week or two if you used a generous amount .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jugs and head went to machine shop together and flatness was checked. Way more lube leaked out than what I put on the threads. I think the torque wrench is good but my try a different one this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used this and followed it to a tee. Checked and double checked to make sure I did it like it shows. Front cylinder started leaking after about 20 minutes. Do I need to do anything different or what do I need to do to avoid this from happening again. I appreciate any help on this. Thank You View attachment 270755
Sounds like maybe your studs are pulling out of the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From my experience it's been the crankcase studs pulling the aluminum threads.I bought new studs and used a kit made by Time-Cert specifically made for re-threading HD evolution cylinder studs. They're more costly than Heli-coil, but much better for this job. Time-certs have no tang to break off and are counter bored into the case. Read the directions it comes with and take your time doing it. Use some grease on the tap and don't try to cut the threads in one motion. Go in and out many times taking an air blower to clean the tap each time it comes out. The grease will catch the shaved aluminum pieces. The tool will also let you know when to stop at the correct depth. You can also use a shop vac with a reducer to suck out any aluminum that may be in the stud hole. Once you buy the time-cert kit you can reuse it. You just need to buy the actual time-certs themselves. I've had excellent experiences using time-certs. They even sell them on Amazon. Best regards, Stone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I put a new graphite head gasket on it and torqued it to 50 ft lbs. No leaks and seems to be doing good. Thanks for all the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts