V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started up the bike after winter fine.
Hosed it off and now, NOTHING, not even an ignition light. Batt. reads 12 volts when off and 10 volts when connected. Read something about a main circuit braker. Can this be the broken part?
Where is it located?
Cheers
Swiss Alex

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
eule said:
Hosed it off and now, NOTHING, not even an ignition light. Batt. reads 12 volts when off and 10 volts when connected. Read something about a main circuit braker. Can this be the broken part?
Where is it located?
Cheers
Swiss Alex
I would check the battery first. If it reads 12v when disconnected from the battery cables but 10v when you hook the cables up... you've either got something pulling lots of current or a bad plate in the battery.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Pull the cables and clean all the terminal ends and the battery posts.
A bad ground will act like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tried it all

Hey guys

I tried it all, even with a new battery. Didn't help. The thing remains dead.
Don't forget it started first and I let it run for at least 15 minutes before I used water.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have an '84 service manual,I'll take a look for the main breaker location.
Your bike is an EVO correct? they made both Shovelheads FLH and EVOs FLHT in 1984.
It could also be in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just a quick ? does anything else work? lights or horn? or is all electrical dead?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
eule said:
Where is it located?
Cheers
Swiss Alex
Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have any electrical power? Lights, horn, etc?

As the problem may be related to the water you might closely examine your electrical connectors for trapped water. If you have a leaf blower try to get any residual water out of switch gear (handlebar on/off switch) and wiring harness connectors.

Disconnect the battery and make sure it is fully charged, then put an ammeter in line and check for current draw. (all electrical circuits off - no lights, accessory power, etc) The current draw with everything off should be minimal. A big current draw and you have a power short to ground.

I would replace your circuit breakers (cheap) ONE-AT-A-TIME and see if there is a problem there.

Post what you have tried.

·
Sick Puppy
1,703 Posts
eule said:
Where is it located?
Cheers
Swiss Alex
check your battery connections ,check ground at frame make sure its clean and tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it!!!

Thank you guys for your posts
I have found the problem as I went trough ist step by step. This is stupid: Over the winter time I 've tuned up the electric starter and replaced the solenoid and guess what. I forgot to connect the ground cable to the bolt which holds the starter in place. When I first started up the bike the cable probably made contact to some bare metal part and with the water it got in a different position and didn't make contact anymore. I put the cable back in place and the lights went back on.

Again thanks for your help.
Alex from Switzerland

1 - 10 of 10 Posts